HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys
Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 AM
whess3298

Default Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys

I am debating whether or not to use my 4-blade 100 grain muzzys for elk hunting next fall. I shoot a Bowtech Patriot at 70 lbs, with 27.75" 5575 gold tip arrows with 4-inch vanes using a 29" draw. The 4-blade muzzys shoot perfectly with my current setup. I chronograph this setup right at 290 fps and have stable arrow flight and great accuracy. I am afraid if I go to a 125 grain broadhead, I'll have to go to a stiffer arrow considering the blazing speed of this bow. Do you think the 4-blade muzzys and 5575 arrows are sufficient for big bulls? Do you have other recommendations as to arrow weight and broadhead weight? The only change I am making for sure is to use 4" feathers instead of plastic vanes. The 4-blade muzzys have proven themselves on big bodied deer, but some of my successful bowhunting friends say to use no less than 125 grain 3-blade broadheads for elk. I am aware that shot placement is key to success, but am looking for input since I want to get to work on my elk setup for next year. I have used a lot of different broadheads through the years - from an old axhead called the "Goshhawk" (must have weighed close to 200 grains or more), to the old 2-bladed Ben Pearson heads with the razor inserts. The Ben Pearsons were good to me for a long time. They flew like field points in my old clanger banger multi-wheeled compounds, penetrated deeply, and I could pick them up, clean them and sharpen them back to shaving condition. The Fred Bear 2-blades were good too, a little tougher than the Ben Pearson's, but they were much more difficult to sharpen.

By the way, the information you put out is a great contribution. The hands on technical trials give bowhunters an inside look at what is vitally important in our choice of broadheads. Penetration, arrow flight, tuning, etc. Thanks! It's a great forum here and your info makes it even better!