Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tough thing to watch >

Tough thing to watch

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough thing to watch

Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tough thing to watch

I've seen it several times and it never bothers me. I remember one year I was hunting a stand on an oak flat and watched a doe and a pair of fawns come in and bed about 60 yards from stand. I watched them for over an hour. I was fascinated by how the groomed each other and generally seemed content for the time they were bedded there. I noticed after I retreived my binoculars, that the larger of the two fawns had buttons on his head. About 3 weeks later, I'm in the same stand and this doe walks in with a single fawn. They're about 75 yards away this time and I wondered if it was the same group I'd watched before and something had happened to one of the fawns or if it was a different group....about 10 minutes behind them comes another fawn. It was the buck and his momma wouldn't tolerate him being anywhere near them. She jumped up and charged down the flat toward him and by the way he turned tail and ran, this wasn't the first time. She returned to her other fawn and started crunching acorns. About a half hour later, the doe fawn tried to nurse momma.......bad move! Talk about gettingmule kicked! The fawn shook it off, and decided acorns were allright to eat too!

It's just nature. I don't get upset when I find a fawn the coyotes killed, or the remains of a rabbit that a hawk had for dinner. It is what it is.

GH
Old 10-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Spike

Default RE: Tough thing to watch

If you are hunting bucks, that event should get you fired up. They do run them off for inbreeding purposes- which is usually triggered by her approaching estrus...... meaning that thumper will probably be more intrested during daylight hours which means you'll be in your stand this weekend and she will saunter by with no button buck pup tagging along trying to suckle that teat- which means you'll pummel the mack daddy that is trying to deliver the goods- Then you'll resize your pictures and post it here and say, "I'm glad I didn't whack the first doe that was starting to feel sexy" and we'll get to see you with your one tag filled and a grin holding a drop tined monster.