Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hand held releases >

Hand held releases

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hand held releases

Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hand held releases

I'm considering switching to a hand held thumb trigger release next year. I'm looking at either a Truball Pro Diamond or a Trufire 3d hunter. Does anybody have experience with either one?

I like the idea of having both hands free and having your release constantly attached to the string while hunting. And I know that these types of releases promote better shooting technique as well.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hand held releases

Spot Hogg makes one that also has a wrist strap attached.....so you're never in fear of dropping it. Makes sense.....and I'm probably going to look into one, next year, for 3D and hunting combined.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some mixed emotions too but I think the good outweighs the bad. I use a Winn Free Flight glove right now and although I shoot good enough with it (298 w/ 37 X's last year in 5 spot ) I don't like it in the treestand. It's big and bulky, I can't climb with it, I can't rattle with it, I basically can't do anything with my right hand when I have this big glove on. And the velcro strap is loud so I can't take it off in the stand. Plus the leather glove stinks after shooting all summer, and I can't get rid of the smell completely without dropping $25 on a replacement glove. So I'm gonna retire the Free Flight at the end of the season and switch to something else.

I've never been comfortable with a wrist strap release. I like something in my hand to pull against. The Free Flight had a metal handle bar in the palm that made the draw weight seem 10 lbs less than it was. I just can't get used to all the pressure being on my wrist and not my hand.

So the logical choice is a hand held thumb trigger release. I've got it narrowed down to the Trufire 3d Hunter and the Truball Pro Diamond. I want to shoot "psuedo-back tension" so I'm not interested in a push trigger.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Carter Ember 1 that im not using and I could work out a deal with you, if u want it. This release is a thumb trigger and I have all original packaging and tension springs. Send me a PM if your interested.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff: Just an FYI on that spot hogg release, it is VERY small in design.......good release but typically won't fit average to large hands.

I hunt with the TRU Ball ST-3. It's open hook is perfect for hunting, I don't have to cock and uncock to get it on/off the release. Still gives me the crisp release of a sear style trigger though without the pre shot noise associated with closed jaws. This combined with TRU Ball's modular wrist strap are the perfect release for me. I train hard all year for a target quality release execution, the last thing I want is a index finger punch-o-matic to teach me bad things during hunting season. I feel my TRU Ball gives me the best of both worlds. I actually used this same release for indoor, 3D, FITA, and field archery for almost 12 months before it got put on hunting only duty. The strap on this doesn't have any tension on it all all when drawing, it only keeps me from dropping it, picture is below.

Here is my release setup.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. I want to be able to leave the release hooked to my loop so when a deer comes I just pick up my bow and I'm ready to shoot. I don't want to have to connect my release to the loop when the deer is in front of me. You gotta remember, when that monster Michigan 3 point steps out I'm gonna be shakin like a leaf and I might not be able to hook up!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried a Carter Insatiable 2 and a Stan Eagle release this year and ended up switching back to my wrist release. I just couldn't get the hang of those releases. I may try again in the future, but for now I'm sticking with the wrist release.