Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dogs running the woods. >

dogs running the woods.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dogs running the woods.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: dogs running the woods.

If you love your pet you need to control them!! I have two dogs that I care for very much. I also keep them on my land and respect others. They can get away but if you have a repeat offender I would take care of the problem with little guilt.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not in favor of shooting dogs... and a radio collar doesn't make a dog a pet... but there has to be a solution to people letting deer dogs run willy-nilly across the county.

I hunt 200 acre of private land surrounded on three sides by national park, and the local "club" will come drop their dogs in the park to chase the deer out -- of course, that includes running them across the 200 acres I hunt. Needless to say, running dogs through the park is illegal as hell, and while you can't shoot a deer dog in VA, the national park is under Federal jurisdiction and the rangers there shoot deer dogs in a heartbeat. The guys running the dogs generally don't give a crap about posted signs, private land, or boundaries... so needless to say, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sandilands
.... I don't like playing God.
but you kill deer.....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have a similar problem...On one piece of property I hunt the neighbors dog follows me to my standevery time i hunt...Ussually he is waiting for me when I get out of my truck, when i see him then i can just take him to his home and tie him up but it is really annoying when he follows me to my stand, he is the friendliest dog in the world and I really dont believe he is chasing deer, but he has wrecked my hunt more than once...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to find the landowner, if you cant then call animal control. If they cant, do what you gotta do.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

just go on ahead and get some bow practice on them. just use a dull or old broadhead.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM

This happened to me last year and luckily we located the owner and called the DEP. They went to the peoples house and ripped them a new one other than that don't know what to tell you. The paintball and sling shots seem like a good idea. I wouldn't kill em though.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I have felt like it, I can't bring myself to shoot a dog. Yotes are another matter though.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

I'd like to know what the laws are in VA for this. Last weekend, I had 2 dogs run right under my stand about 20 minutes after sunrise. The only deer I saw that day after that was a button buck I called in just beforeI left at noon. The week before I had seen 13 from a stand 30 years away. It's illegal to run deer with dogs in the county where I hunt, and I was on my own private, postedland. Same thing happened last year on a different piece of private, posted land I hunted a few miles from there. Same results: no other deer that day. Really pisses me off. I love dogs though, and would have a hard time shooting one unless it was a repeat offender. It's not the dogs' fault, really. They can't read posted signs. I plan to find out whose dogs they are and talk to the owner. Then, if the owner doesn't care enough about them to control them during hunting season (especially bow season), then they probably aren't being treated right anyways and I wouldn't feel as badly about shooting them (first with a BB gun, then with something stronger), but I'd like to know where I stood legally before doing anything.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM

How can anyone one say they would instantly shoot the dog? I run bear with hounds and know dogs well. They will all run deer given the opportunity until broken off of them. What if that dog belonged to a family and their 5 year old daughter accidentally let him out of his kennel... what would you say then?
It would be one thing if you located the owner and they didn't care to do anything about it... but some dogs are magician's and get loose on their own. I had a pup in which I went through 5 diferent types of snaps before I found one that kept him on the chain. Can you believe he was getting off of a bull snap? A friend of mine caught a guy letting his dogs loose when he wasn't home.There can many reasons for a dog to be loose.

You need to exhaust all of your options andresources before resorting to shooting someones dog. They have collars... is there a name tag? Do they come to you when called? Do they appear to be skittish?

Quick Reply: dogs running the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.