Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My miserable season continues.... >

My miserable season continues....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My miserable season continues....

Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My miserable season continues....

ORIGINAL: huntingson

You know, this season has been terrible for me as well thus far. I have hunted historically great spots and new beautiful funnels and nada. I saw 7 deer my first sit, one the second, and zero for the next 6. I think every deer around here is nocternal right now.
I really think they are moving more than normal this year.

The weekend before I saw nothing also, hunted the same stands and say 7 bucks and 4 does and a fawn.

Sometimes are preseasons plan are , well worthless. I am not hunting spots I have not in the past, do to no acorns. The west side of MI had a banner year for mast. The east side blows[:'(]. Find your acorns and you will find your deer. Best advice I can give anyone is stay patient.
Just seems to be differnt this year for some reason. I can not explain it, but the deer are not moving and eating like they normal do. They seem to be going somewhere and in a hurryit seems. I had to mouth bleat the doeI shot. First time in 23 years I had to do so on a doe.

Not sure why, but it is what I have notice. So hang in there it is only matter of time before they move back in your area. My guess is because of the lack luster acorn crop by me they are moving farther than normal to eat.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

So hang in there it is only matter of time before they move back in your area. My guess is because of the lack luster acorn crop by me they are moving farther than normal to eat.
That is a good theory. Our acorns were nonexistant this year. I sure hope they run out of whatever the heck they are eating right now and come back to the alfalfa, corn, and soybeans they have here.

It is interesting you said that they seem to be in a hurry around you. It is the same way here. Very strange indeed.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 'lull' is full blast here in IA, I see little or nothing, but the woods are getting torn up with rubs and scrapes..they are just moving at night. What has frustrated me is the wind..... I have a couple places that I KNOW big boys bed, but have not been able to hunt thier fringes yet. Any kind of consistant westerly wind please!!!

the forcast is calling for one this weekend...god i hope.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been out 7-8 times and have only seen one doe and her fawn. Now that it is cooler here I expect to see more though.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Germ

So hang in there it is only matter of time before they move back in your area. My guess is because of the lack luster acorn crop by me they are moving farther than normal to eat.
That is a good theory. Our acorns were nonexistant this year. I sure hope they run out of whatever the heck they are eating right now and come back to the alfalfa, corn, and soybeans they have here.

It is interesting you said that they seem to be in a hurry around you. It is the same way here. Very strange indeed.
If I did not have bow in hand the doe I shot would have went right by me. She was walking right through a ripe bean field and wanted nothing to do with it.

I can see my neighbors plot for my stand across the river. It looks great, grean and lush, and not a damn deer in it
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

want to experience not seeing any deer for real, come to central PA, there are hardly any deer left, the doe season with buck season combination , just plain wiped most of them out...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck, the smokepole hunters are out in full force around here and they aren't even moving any deer my way. I heard 2 shots yesterday about a mile away.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Heck, the smokepole hunters are out in full force around here and they aren't even moving any deer my way. I heard 2 shots yesterday about a mile away.
I've heard gunshots just before dark every time out this year. Poachers [:@]
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Ya want miserable? Try having your two best bow hunting buddies take off for Colorado for Elk hunting and left me behind. Couldn't afford it.To add insult to injury, I also can't hunt the land we hunt for two weeks. Didn't find that out till yesterday. Seems they need to cut some deseased trees and my friend figured best to have it done while in CO. Nice to be warned, he knew I was looking forward to having the place to myself even though I haven't seen many deer.
It's been windy and rainy for the past few days, been scouting public ground and all I can say is the public land looks like public dump sights. I've picked up enough garbage to fill a 60 gal. drum from 3 different public hunting spots. I thought I found a scrape, but it was man made, a ladder stand 18 yards away. Found another nice looking spot, set up my tree climber and had a turkey hunter set up 50 yards away in a tent on the ground. Half hour later a springer spanial runs past my tree, runs up to the tent and then a young man with a shotgun and a little kid no more than 5 years old, run by chasing and yelling for the dog. The guy in the tent catches the dog and holds 'em till they catch up, they put the dog on a leash and walk right back the way they came from. Right under my tree! No of 'em ever knew I was there!
I look at my clock, it's about 6 pm. 6:10PM I hear " O' HAAAAAAAAARRRRRRROOOOOOOLD!"
"WWHAT?" Yells they guy in the tent, it's his wife and apparently time for him to go.
6:30 I hear Harold slam his truck door and drive off with wife right behind him.
15 minutes left of shooting time, nothing. I start walking back with my climber and gear, too late to shoot and there stands a doe, 15 yards away, broad side, 6 feet from my truck. I actualy thought someone set up a decoy on me it stood so still and didn't bolt til I was about 8 yards away. Next time I go there, I'm leaving my tail gate down and putting a bag of corn in the back, maybe some nice bedding, water.....might have better luck catching them in the parking lot, then shooting one in the woods. lol
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

"But Warden, she just climbed in and layed down!"