Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........ >

Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer snorted while rigging tree stand........

Yep...blow back. I have jumped deer and when they ran away, I would make that blowing sound. They stop dead in their tracks! I have even had them turn and walk back to me at close range.
If they blow at you, there's a good chance they didn't pick up your scent at that point. They blow to alert others to the presence of an unidentified threat, and to clear their nasal cavities so that they can get a good sample of the scent in the air.

You need to change your route of entry to that stand. Sounds like the deer are getting between you and the stand in the pre-dawn. That is no good for sure.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I've been practicing since I've read this thread. Could somebody explain the proper girations, movements, breathing etc... to achieve the desire sound?[8D]
don't really know how to explain it. I blow with my tounge to the roof of my mouth like I was blowing on a turkey mouth diaphram without the diaphram. and I cup my hand in front of my mouth so it's not too loud, but you have to blow kind of hard to get a good nasal sound to it. ok, guess I do know how to explain it.... sort of.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

i feel you man i had to bust out of my area when i was walking in but could not see them because it was still to dark

Then two or three hours in my hunt a buck stayed 50 yards behind me and snort for five minutes then left and come right back a 1/2 n hour later and did the same thing
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's like when you whistle but it never really becomes a whistle. Just a loud blowing sound. I can replicate it as good as any deer in the woods.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Also, 18' is a good hieght, but I prefer to be well above 20, if not 30. Ive noticed that, when Im at 30'(one stand I have is 35) I can get away with ALOT more movement and Ive never been busted.
I don't believe I have any trees where I can get any higher than about 20'. The problem is that the diameter of the tree decreases on the way up and my stand is then at an uncomfortable angle. And I do start out with the intent of compensating for it. I applaud you guys who aren't forced into using climbers. Off topic here.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably the easiest way to imitate it would be to buy the easy-wheeze from Hunters Specialties. Its marketed for a snort wheeze but can be used for a straight snort also.