Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Snorted at me?!?!?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Snorted at me?!?!?

I was in the woods the other morning before daylight and i heard a deer snorting at me. It was three fairly quick snorts, like exhailing through your nose quickly and briefly, and then i heard a couple stomps. About a minute later i heard the same thing but even closer and then something take off at a good pace away from me. Was that a deer or some other animal? I was sitting on the ground in darn near no moonlight soI couldnt see anything and it was behind me as well. I have no clue what it was but im hoping it was a deer. If it was a deer, what is the snort all about? Is it him threatening me, or was he scared or what? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I know it is a silly question, but am i foolish to think it was a buck snorting at me or do the does do it as well?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Deer Snorted at me?!?!?

Yeah, that was definitely a deer snorting and stomping at you. I have seen both bucks and does snort and stomp when they wind me in my stand.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup , it was a deer . You startled it and it was trying to pinpoint where you were or get you to move . I was out bowhunting once wearing a leafy ghillie suit and got trapped out in the open by two young does , so I froze where I stood . Pretty soon the first doe spotted the "strange object" and began to snort and stamp her hoof at me . Once she determined that I wasn't a threat she calmly began grazing . However , the other one then picked me off and did the same thing , and once she started grazing the first doe began doing it all over again . This went on for about 15 minutes until they strolled away , and they never gave me a chance to draw on them . Those are the moments I like to laugh about later on .
Old 01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

yeah. they normally don't hang out long after doing that. the stomping was done in order to get you to move so that she could pick you out. I've had'em do that to me many a times. It's pretty funny. The does seem to hang around longer than the bucks.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a deer. Most times they bolt right afterwards. I have been snorted at a couple of times though where the deer did not leave and continued doing what it was originally doing.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

well good, atleast i know im hunting in the right area . Next timei just have to adjust for wind and be facing the right direction :0 Thanx for the replies
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep definently deer. practice good scent control and hunt the wind right. youll never completely beat a deers nose...but scent control and hunting the wind right will help minimize the snorts.

i use "dead down wind" scent eliminating spray. i dont do the whole shower blah blah ect...i keep my clothes washed with "sport wash" you can find at walmart fairly cheap and baking soda..line dry outside when possible..if not i dry them inside out. ive had numerous deer directly down wind of me this year after starting my scent control methods and they never flinched. i had a big mature doe walk to the verrrrry base of the tree i climbed. i use a climbing stand so i do alot of walking around the base of the tree..she was eating directly at the base of my tree. that day i left my pull up rope hanging from my stand..dont know why. thats the only item i didnt spray with dead down wind. she sniffed it and jumped back a couple feet and was on alert. never blew but know that rope smelled fishy..she hung around another minute and took her fawns out of there. the dead down wind is pricey but i really like it. i got gasoline on my hand the day i bought it. i was like yep ill put it to the test. we all know you can shower and still smell like gasoline..a spray of DDW and i couldnt smell the gasoline. let it dry figuring it would smell after...never smelled like gasoline!

good luck!! now that you know what that sound is youll be kicking yourself every time you hear it!!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

ya i had a doe with her fawn stoping and snorting at me to won time
Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually if they hang around to stomp at you, it's because they are not quite sure of what they are seeing or smelling, and they are trying to get you to move. A doe will sometimes snort and stomp until the fawns run off, then they are gone too!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep - When you hear the snort and/or wheez and the ole foot stomp - Your Busted as the ole saying goes in the deer hunting community.

Welcome to the been Busted Club

Quick Reply: Deer Snorted at me?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.