Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads? >

Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I am for what Jeff is doing with these threads
59.06%
I am not for what he is doing with these threads
10.74%
I could care less
30.20%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?

I'm torn on this subject. On one hand I understand the "Babe Ruth pointing for the fences" argument. I thought the same thing myself. As a person who is lucky to get 2 or 3 shot opportunities per season at ANY deer Jeff's shooting at his 7th deer by the first week of October and posting pics of venison dinner sort of bugged me. Maybe I'm just jealous.

I liked reading his journals at first, but he did a few things that just really bugged me (poor shot selection, wounding deer, shooting at a 2nd deer before recovering the first one on a 90 degree day, etc.). Sometimes I felt like it would be best not to voice my true thoughts because most of the regular members of this forum are so overwhelmingly supportive of GMMAT that you risk being on an island. So I kept my mouth shut and tried not to be the A-hole.

However, it took some big cajones for Jeff to do what he did. It's easy to post thehappy endings, but nobody wants to tell thewhole worldthey wounded and lostan animal. That takes courage. I do think that posting every shot added to the pressure that Jeff felt and influenced him to make some bad decisions. There's enough pressure as it is without having the whole world watching. Imagine being at full draw and instead of thinking about shot placement, you're thinking "I hope I get this one right so I don't have to post about another wounded deer". That can't be good for your psyche.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I entered one last night just before midnight!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

I didn't bother reading all the replies, so...

I find the amount of them annoying. Because so many people are jumping on the bandwagon, why not combine all of your "every shots" into one thread (per hunter who participates) and announce in the title when its been updated. Seeing multiple every shot threads from the same person on page one bugs me.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

What makes you think that it isn't just the "vocal minority" that's responding to your poll?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

You do what he is doing(making the posts) you had better have pretty thick skin. It's sorta like being a ref (which I do) your not going to make everyone happy. He's gets a lot more atta boys then I do on a football field however.

I would also like to know what people have learned and how you can use this as a learning tool?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have no problems with the posts. I read most of them.Jeff is learning and I guess finds this the place to get his questions answered.I will say this though. I think Jeff could start a post about how he scratched his leg on a barbed wire fence and it end up being a 10 page post!

Darrall
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter
I will say this though. I think Jeff could start a post about how he scratched his leg on a barbed wire fence and it end up being a 10 page post!
That is so funny b/c it's so true!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

There you have the proverbial saying that one bad apple spoils it for the whole bunch.

All the naysayers on this forum just stopped Jeff from posting threads that others could very well and have learn from.

One thing that stands out to all you negative critics, What happened to just skipping a thread?

If you don't like it, DONT READ IT.

I agree PreacherTony, great post MOWTOWN
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I told PT in a PM.....that I think it could be a number of things as to why people don't think they're "useful". One....I think there may be some animosity BECAUSE of the amt. of opportunities I get. I can't bring myself to apologize for having a good place to hunt. I see a lot of deer.

Two....I think there's likely some personal animosity that overshadows the intent of the threads. Yep....it started out with me thinking it was going to be easier than it's proven to be. I admitted that when I failed to recover my first bowkill of the year for 9 hours.....and reiterated that sentiment with each failed attempt. There's no bravado in these post. I defy anyone to cite an instance.

Thirdly....I think there's a contingency that don't want to hear of hunters' mishaps being aired in public. I stated a long time ago that I didn't think this was a good idea for the masses. I was the first to say I would chronicle my shots.....and I thought it would be interesting to see (for many). The "less-than" favorable results, so far, might not be what we want people outside these forums seeing. But....are those people really out there?

I don't NEED to do this. Who NEEDS to open themselves up for ridicule? When one goes down this road (for whomever decides to continue this).....they have to be willing to take the good with the bad (corrective criticism)....and I've always welcomed that. When my ethics are questioned.....or my posts become the brunt of jokes....then I exit. No problem.

For the record.....TO ME.....a bad shot is acceptable. It's not an outcomeany of us would wish for...but animals move.....limbs are "ticked".....etc... It's going to happen to a bowhunter....sooner....or later. What I have a bigger issue with is a poor decision to take a shot. To date.......in my LIFE.....I've taken 2. One was in my '05 season (first year bowhunting)....at a doe that I wasn't experienced enough to pull off. I regret it. The second was at the second doe on Tuesday...for reasons that have already been hashed out....and the lesson learned.

Wash had a good idea "concentrating" all the "every shot" posts into one thread. I'm still wondering why it's hard to skip over posts, though???? We each hold the key to what we read and what we choose to ignore.....via a simple mouse click, or not.

I hope a few of you guys that posted that you'd document every shot keep it up. I'll read them, intently.....and hope I learn something from them.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed, dont like it dont read it, i personally enjoy reading the posts from Jeff, our season opens late so i feel like im in a hunt when everyone talk about their stories. Its like one big huntin camp, at your personal camp do you tell stories of justthe good stuff? most likley not. Its a touchy subject thats for sure but its as much a part of bow hunting as anything else. Just because some are shy and "perfect" shouldnt mean others cant post storiestheir hunts, and when i say hunt i mean all aspects of the hunt.

Quick Reply: Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.