HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do You Support the "Every Shot" Threads?

I told PT in a PM.....that I think it could be a number of things as to why people don't think they're "useful". One....I think there may be some animosity BECAUSE of the amt. of opportunities I get. I can't bring myself to apologize for having a good place to hunt. I see a lot of deer.

Two....I think there's likely some personal animosity that overshadows the intent of the threads. Yep....it started out with me thinking it was going to be easier than it's proven to be. I admitted that when I failed to recover my first bowkill of the year for 9 hours.....and reiterated that sentiment with each failed attempt. There's no bravado in these post. I defy anyone to cite an instance.

Thirdly....I think there's a contingency that don't want to hear of hunters' mishaps being aired in public. I stated a long time ago that I didn't think this was a good idea for the masses. I was the first to say I would chronicle my shots.....and I thought it would be interesting to see (for many). The "less-than" favorable results, so far, might not be what we want people outside these forums seeing. But....are those people really out there?

I don't NEED to do this. Who NEEDS to open themselves up for ridicule? When one goes down this road (for whomever decides to continue this).....they have to be willing to take the good with the bad (corrective criticism)....and I've always welcomed that. When my ethics are questioned.....or my posts become the brunt of jokes....then I exit. No problem.

For the record.....TO ME.....a bad shot is acceptable. It's not an outcomeany of us would wish for...but animals move.....limbs are "ticked".....etc... It's going to happen to a bowhunter....sooner....or later. What I have a bigger issue with is a poor decision to take a shot. To date.......in my LIFE.....I've taken 2. One was in my '05 season (first year bowhunting)....at a doe that I wasn't experienced enough to pull off. I regret it. The second was at the second doe on Tuesday...for reasons that have already been hashed out....and the lesson learned.

Wash had a good idea "concentrating" all the "every shot" posts into one thread. I'm still wondering why it's hard to skip over posts, though???? We each hold the key to what we read and what we choose to ignore.....via a simple mouse click, or not.

I hope a few of you guys that posted that you'd document every shot keep it up. I'll read them, intently.....and hope I learn something from them.

Good luck to all.