Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Frustrating to say the least. >

Frustrating to say the least.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrating to say the least.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Frustrating to say the least.

Well, it's going on five years since I took a deer with my bow (granted college did get in the way), so believe me when I say I'm ready to get out of this rut. The warm temps here in PA have been a little tough to hunt and quite uncomfortable. Today, it was 83 at home today so today was no different. I got into my stand around 5:20 and tried to bear the heat. Around 6:45, 4 doe started working their way towards me from a small food plot 60 yards uphill. To make a long story short, by the time one presented a shot (it was almost past legal shooting time), I draw back with a perfect 15yd shot and low and behold, my peep sit twisted!! I couldn't see crap!! So I slowly let my string down and at least they didn't spoke. However, it was getting dark and I had no light, so I couldn't just wait forever for them to leave. So I started yelling, and they ran. I know they didn't know where it was coming from, but I'm still unsure about this. How long should I wait before I go back in there? Was yelling a bad idea? What do you guys suggest to do in a situation like that (for future reference)?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: Frustrating to say the least.

I have been hunting all week and seeing plenty of deer, the majority of them between 4 and 6. If you can get into your stand earlier. I hunt in Chester County. As far as the deer near your stand I usually lower my bow and move it around near the ground. Its enough to make them walk away but they don't spoke and take off.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, yelling at them wouldn't have been my first choice. Not sure there really is a good way to push a deer off. Rather than yell possibly blow simulating a deer. If your convincing enough they'd go assuming it's another deer but not know why. Or simply get down as quiet as possible and hope, if you bust them it still might be better than yelling.

Congratulations on the fun hunt tho. Close...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I really didn't know what to do. Lowering my bow would have alerted them before I even got it to the bottom (they were seriously spread out about 180 degrees in front of me anywhere from 10-25 yards (6 total deer), so they would have seen it. Mimicking a deer isn't a bad idea, just not sure I could do it effectively enough. They were already coming back when I got down to the base of the tree so I don't think they were TOO spooked. We'll see I suppose. I will give the area a few days rest I suppose.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, I'd say yelling wasn't the best thing to do, but sometimes ya don't really think about it until its over. The temps in P.A. have been horrid, thats for sure and having that amount of time between your last bow kill makes it a lil more tough not to go out. But good luck in the upcoming hunts. Hope you put an end to the dry spell
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to make unnatural sounds that they don't associate with humans. Yelling wouldn't be an option for me. I've snapped my fingers, slapped my pants leg and other things to try to encourage them to leave.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

Well, it's going on five years since I took a deer with my bow (granted college did get in the way), so believe me when I say I'm ready to get out of this rut. The warm temps here in PA have been a little tough to hunt and quite uncomfortable. Today, it was 83 at home today so today was no different. I got into my stand around 5:20 and tried to bear the heat. Around 6:45, 4 doe started working their way towards me from a small food plot 60 yards uphill. To make a long story short, by the time one presented a shot (it was almost past legal shooting time), I draw back with a perfect 15yd shot and low and behold, my peep sit twisted!! I couldn't see crap!! So I slowly let my string down and at least they didn't spoke. However, it was getting dark and I had no light, so I couldn't just wait forever for them to leave. So I started yelling, and they ran. I know they didn't know where it was coming from, but I'm still unsure about this. How long should I wait before I go back in there? Was yelling a bad idea? What do you guys suggest to do in a situation like that (for future reference)?
First, sorry about what happened, I'm sure if you give it some time the deer will return. I've spooked deer much worse than that and they will eventually return, give it some time.

Now on to the business at hand....I'm going to jump on my soapbox here.

What you described is exactly why I use a tube style peep! Tube style peeps if installed correctly will provide you with a safe and reliable means to be sure your peep will be aligned everytime you draw your bow! There are some things to consider when installing your tube style peep.

Most problems folks have with tube style peeps is they (the tubes) are installed incorrectly, it should be just short enough to align the peep. You shouldalso install your peep as you would if you were using a tubeless peep. Set it so that it aligns when you draw, the tubingshould only be there to make sure it's perfectly aligned when you draw.

Lots of people just stick the peep in and make the tube do all of the work pulling it into position, that's not how you are supposed to install them. No wonder why they break on people. Tubing too short, tubingtoo old and improperly positioned peep is a recipe for failure.

Even the best made strings/cables can creep especially in extreme weather changes/conditions. All it takes is a 1/4 turn and you can't see through it. (like what happened to you) With the tube attached this will never happen.

Change your tube at least twice a year. I change mine once before hunting season and once after.It's only afew dollars...won't break the bank and takes awhole 30 seconds to install.

As far as thereasons why folks don't like them....I'll address.

1. Slows down the bow.... Yes it will but not enough to be concerned with. I measured (Chrono) a loss of 4 fps with a tube style peep.

2. Tube style peeps are loud..... Well that all depends on what you consider loud? Will the bow be louder with the tube on vs off? yes but my bow is still very quiet, quiet enough over the years to have killed many deer even at the closest of ranges. I think this is overblown if you ask me.

3. The tube can snap back and take an eye out......Thishas got to bethe most exaggerated statement about tube style peeps. If installed correctly with the proper length the tube (if it did indeed break) it will not have enough energy to even make it back to the string with much energy much less enough to put your eye our or even hurt it for that matter...I know because I tested the theory...yes with my own eyeand neverwas hurt, notone bit. I tested how the tube would fly back at many different lengths and tensions, none were concerning. In fact most of the time the tube stopped at the string.

So there you have it, in a nut shell why I use a tube style peep.

Change it often, install it properly and you'll never go through what you just did....well except for the yelling part....the tubing won't help you there.