Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 frustrating but not bad >

frustrating but not bad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

frustrating but not bad

Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default frustrating but not bad

My dad's, my grandparents', and my farms are all next to each other and we finally got some trail cams up to see what kind of deer we have running around. It has surprized me how many bucks we have, but we only have pictures of one 3.5 year old buck and the rest are 1.5-2.5 year olds. The guy who lives one farm over, about a mile away, has a trail cam up and has pictures of 4 or 5 huge and I mean HUGE (150-170 class typical)4.5-5.5 year old bucks just from the last month. I really didn't think that there was 1 buck of that caliber still around, let alone multiple ones. It is great that there are so many mature bucks around, but I can't figure out why they aren't on our land ever. My dad hunted over 75 times this year and only saw one mature buck (that was in October) and I only saw one mature buck but was lucky enough to get a shot and take him.The guy who owns the land is super nice and he is a good hunter so I have no problem with him having or even getting those deer, but I must admit that I am a little jealous and want a piece of the pie. Any suggestions or ideas how to draw them over?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: frustrating but not bad

I'm still really new at the scouting thing.....but I can't help but be excited about the deer I saw last year.....being a year older, this Fall. I know there's some 3.5's (they will be)....at least 1 4.5 (will be).....and a BUNCH of really nice 2.5's......if they don't leave the area. Heck I'm doing everything I can to keep them close.

I have no way to really draw them in......other than the food plot I'll be planting. It's a crap shoot.....because I MAY end up drawing the deer I'm already hunting through a different route to get to the food plot. If I do.....they'll come through land I don't have access to hunt.

Are they over at the other farm because they're pressured, more, on yours??? Just a thought????
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

My dad hunted over 75 times this year and only saw one mature buck (that was in October)

that could be a problem depending on how big the land is.

If you have enough land, try putting out some food plots, and getting a feeder and supplemental feeding would be a good idea. It would definately help the bucks that are already on your land. See that 3.5 will be mature this year and the 2.5 will be good ones in years to come. I would defianetly supplemental feed them

Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it is hunting pressure because our neighbor gets to hunt more than we do because of his job. You did make me think that maybe he does a better job getting to and out of his stands though. I guess that is possible. No one is hunting now though so I wouldn't think that would impact them.

We do have a couple of food plots, 8 acres in alfalfaand supplemental feed. I should have mentioned that.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plant for thicker (much thicker) bedding areas, and plant for a preferred food source. Something like a standing soybean field an acre or more in size.

Then.. don't hunt your farm til late in October following a good front. Keep your hunting to a lower profile and hope the other guy over pressures his deer out!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

What would you suggest planting for bedding areas?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

When I helped my friends at their lease.......WeCUT for bedding areas.We cut probably 30-40 trees in a wooded area.....about 4-5' up and left them attached to the "stump".

Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just finished a couple of books on the subject. One of the books reccomended taking a chainsaw and cutting the trees 2/3 the way through. Make the cut some 3-4 feet above the ground and let the tree fall over. The remaining trunk will continue to grow. Your actually supposed to do this until you have destroyed the area you are looking at... then continue it for another hour (says the author).

You can also plant raspberry bushes too. (from another book)
Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have never thought about cutting trees higher up and leaving them attached. That's interesting.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Duke's first post. If those mature bucks are only a mile away they should be chasing/trailing does onto your property sometime during pre-rut and rut. I know for a fact that some of the best bucks I have seen over the years did not actually call the property I hunt their "home", but they traveled through or stayed for a time when the rut was nearing or in.

Quick Reply: frustrating but not bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.