Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elephant taken with Bow >

Elephant taken with Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephant taken with Bow

Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elephant taken with Bow

WOW.. Thats one hell of a trophy! Congrats.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM

100lbs huh? Work out much?! Im a big dude and play semi-pro football here in PA but I sure as hell dont need 100lbs pull or would wanna pull one. Congrats on the elephant, however i think for me....ill save the 10 grand and go shoot a truck or something. Guess to hunt elephant you have to have 100lbs huh? I would assume
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

how the hell do you pull 100 lbs?
It doesn't looks like a 100lbs arm there, how could you?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Wow, what an experience. I would hate to field dress it.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM

arn't elephants over populated there so its like shooting does to save the eviroment and help the herd i couldn't see myself hunting a elephant with a bow but if i had the chance i might do it with a gun but I don't think i would spend that kinda money when there is plenty of big stuff to hunt in this country
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM

In response to all the questions, I will attempt to cover them in this email.

Bow Set up:
Bow Tech Tribute set @100# (call or emailBowTech, Wil Askew can verify the wt for non-believer's) (Personally Iam 6'4 and 250 pounds, I work out and stay in shape. But mostly I have shot a bow routinely since I was 12, I think this has allowed me to have the muscles needed to pull a bow built up over time)(you can email me privately to find out where and when the footage from this hunt will air on TV)
A/C/C double stacked Easton Arrows The total grains equaled about 750. Moving at about 250 ftps.
125 grain InnerLoc Broadheads "Stainless extremes"

Meat and Trophy:
All the meat goes to the local tribes, everything is used. Zimbabwe is having major food shortages so this was a blessing for many hundreds of villagers.

You can bring tusk and hides into the US. The catch is that you must be hunting on a Trophy Elephant tag. Most people you hear about are hunting on a PAC tag which is issued by the Zim government. A PAC tag will not allow for you to export any part back. Basically the difference is you can pay $10k of a PAC and not take anything back or you can pay 25K to 35k for a Trophy tag which allows you to bring back your trophy. A PAC elephant is considered non trophy, having tusk in the 20 pound range. A trophy elephant is 35 pounds and up.

I will be bringing back the hide, and tusk.

My elephants info. :
Approx. wt 6 tons
Stood Approx. 12' at th shoulders
Trunk was 8' long
Tusk wt approx 45 pounds and 4' long

Why anyone would hunt an elephant:
An elephant is like any other game animal. In Zimbabwe there are over 90,000 elephants. This many elephants can wipe outan entireforest. I personally saw area's wiped out, the trees stunted at about 5' tall. The Whange National Parkhas plansto take 1000 elephants out of the park this year because of over populations.

If you think your heart pumps over a whitetail, try stalking an elephant. Elephants have the best sense of smell, incredible hearing and they can detect your stalk just by feeling the vibrations in the ground thru there feet. On the second step and elephant makes he can be at speeds of 30mph. They are the king of all animals. I guarantee you an Elephant hunt is harder than any Whitetail or Elk hunt you've ever had! It will get in your blood.

For whom ever said in the earlier post "It just seems wrong to shoot and elephant" I've heard that say comment about Whitetails!!!

Hunting Elephant with a Bow???
Some one earlier said they did'nt feel good about hunting an elephant with a bow for humane reasons. I will agree, Now. It is very hard to take down an elephant quickly with a bow. The leg bone is to thick to shoot thru and it completely covers the heart. You have a 50% chance of hitting ribs. Given this and the fact that I have done it I will have to think hard about my next trip. Rifle or Bow???

Hopefully I have covered most things, if not just keep asking.

Rocky Francis

Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I have no idea why anyone would want to shoot an elephant.
I'd love to hunt them, that is if I didn't have to get all them shots, and I wasn't such a woos.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM

No shoots for Zimbabwe or S. Africa. Just get a prescriptions for a Malaria Pill in Zim. I've been twice to Zim and twice to S. Africa.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I just realized I am a terrible speller or my fingers just type to fast. Sorry about all the typo's
Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BroadsideAdventures

No shoots for Zimbabwe or S. Africa. Just get a prescriptions for a Malaria Pill in Zim. I've been twice to Zim and twice to S. Africa.
Didn't know that.

Quick Reply: Elephant taken with Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.