Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 soggy illinois opener >

soggy illinois opener

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

soggy illinois opener

Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default soggy illinois opener

was in my stand this morning at 5:30 am waiting for first light. not soon after that point it started to rain, but i was not discouraged. it was beautiful out and a little rain wasn't going to ruin my hunt. i had waited for this for a long time. the sun starts rising and i see my first deer, a small button buck who bedded down across a creek 60 yards away. he was the only deer i seen all morning so we just enjoyed the sunrise and watched the woods wake up together. he got up and left around noon and i satyed out until 1:30 pm. i was getting hungry and tired so i left. my dad was out also he said he had a large 10 point run under him when he wasn't paying attention. it was awesome and i know i will get one soon enough. how did everyone else do today?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: soggy illinois opener

I decided about 9:00 last night that I was gonna go ahead and take today off. Man it was a windy opening morning. I just got back to the house here and will head back out about 3:30 or so. I did see 8 does but none presented a shot. I did have a huge bodied deer in the field behind me right at first light. I'm cinvinced it was a nice buck from the size of its body and its body language. However, It was still just a little to dark to be able to see antlers. Good luck to all you IL boys. I will be back out this evening. I'm hopin' the wind will die down.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Rained last night, quit by 4am. I was in the woods by 5:15am (which if you knew me, is something of a miracle in itself.... I am not a morning person.)

Of course I thought the sun rose at 6am. (that should give you an idea of how much of a morning person I am. ) At least I got out there plenty early.

It was very windy. There were lots of squirrels. At 10:15 I saw three bucks walk single file over a ridge about 100 yards away. First two were dinks, the last one might be a shooter. Of course, my definition of a shooter is a little looser than most.

I'm planning on heading back out in a few minutes. I'll report on the evening's hunt tonight. (wish me luck, I need it)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pass some rain down this way, please... I'll trade you my 85-degree temps!! [:@]
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Supposed to be 84 heretomorrow. [:'(] We haven't had much of any rain in over two months. I thinkJustin hasbeen hogging it up north.

We do have lots of wind here. Even more noticeable now that the corn's cut. I'll send that your way.