Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois bow opener? >

Illinois bow opener?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois bow opener?

Old 10-01-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Illinois bow opener?

How did everyone one do?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illinois bow opener?

Was great to be back in the stand. had a chance to get 3 hours in this evening and had 7 deer come through. passed on all of them. All does. We have a 2 deer limit in my county(Piatt) 1 of 5 restricted zones. Anyway, am waiting for the right ones. Will be out on some morning hunts this weekend. Sure is nice to have the cool weather in Oct. for a change. Good luck to all.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took opening day off from work to go bowhunting and instead had to stay home with food poisoning[X(][X(][X(]
Gonna try going out this afternoon
Old 10-02-2003, 10:47 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I had a doe and fawn come in at 5:45 pm yesterday. I really wanted that doe in the freezer. Could already taste the sirloins and A1. She had other thoughts. [:' (]
Old 10-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seen about as many deer as Lady did....but I was in my stand.

Oh well, the season is still early!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Sorry to hear that Ladyforge, hope you are feeling better. Ruttnbuck and Jrw, you will have plenty of hours to sit in your treestand and it will be even better when November rolls around. Enjoy mother nature. I wish I was sitting out there. I just bought a my first used bow to practice on. I think I will wait until next year when I am a little more confident and have some land opportunities. I am jealous of everyone. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Taking a vaction day tomorrow.

Heading down in the AM for the weekend to Schuyler county.
I should be in a stand by 1PM....or maybe I' ll wait until 3PM.

Rain in the forecast with 18 mph winds for Friday.

Hoping that Saturday and Sunday forecasts remain cold and dry.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I made it out yesterday afternoon, got out there around noon.
made it about 3/4 of the way to my stand and the remnits of food poisoning hit me again[X(] I sat my stand about 3:00pm when I saw a doe with twins coming out of the bedding bottom followed a little latter by a lone doe all making their way to the bean field.
Well the remnits returned so I had to leave the stand and had to leave the area.
I decided to to take a peek in the bean field so I traveled through a little marshey swamp area to acess the field so as not to spoke them of the bean field.
I stalked to the edge of the bean field and made myself at home in the brush line and watched a doe and her fawn munching on beans, soon the does head went up, ears pricked up in alert and she was watching across to the southern end of the field, a lone 6 point buck crossed the field right down the middle to the doe and began to harass the doe , the 6 point soon got bored with the doe and began to feed when his head went up on alert and I turned my head to see what he was seeing and I saw about 40 yards south of me on the field a doe and her triplets had entered the field and all were jumping and running around playing the doe included was playing like a fawn and the worked their way to the east side of the field , but the buck was still watching the southern end of the field so /I looked again and right down the middle of the field came a lone buck he had a left side spike and a right side fork horn and he was walking towards the 6 pointer. they both turned their attention to the field edge on the north side right behinf them when out walked another fork horn, they all made a bee line for each other and 2 of the bucks began to spar but they quickly lost interest and began to feed on beans and one of the fork horns decided to head northeast and left the field then a small 8 pointer came out of the woods on the north side of the field.
The 6 pointer and the 8 pointer started making their way down the field line towards me as the 6 pointer stopped to check 3 different licking branches along the field, at one he even stood up on his hind legs to reach a higher up licking branch, but the 2 bucks decided to leave the field around 40 yards from me, but no sooner had they left the field for the northern woods the 6 pointer came bounding back into the field , dont know what had spooked him but he quickly settled down and reentered the woods, only moments had passed when a not 20 yards north of me a doe entered the field followed by a fawn and then another doe and they walked out about 30 yards into the field and then turned and started walking south right to me , when the lead doe stopped and looked right at me , so the game was on, she stares and I dont move, dont blink , dont breath, dont shake , oh god dont cough, okay game over she stops looking and walks toward me again, she stops broadside 35 yards out in the field from me and then stares me down , so I nock my release and she just watches, so I come to full draw and she decides shes out of here turns on a dime and bounds of whitetail flag waving and blowing at me.
GOTTA SAY I HAD A BLAST [8D] God I missed bow hunting all year and days like this are why
I started the long walk back and watched a doe and fawn blowing at a friend of mine as he was making his walk back to the truck( and I just had to laugh)them does blowing at us can be so humiliating at times[&:]and meet up with the 3rd friend at the truck and found he had shoot under a doe, but a clean miss.
It was a great day
Old 10-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I was in Canada moose hunting on the opener, but I managed to get out last night for the first time.

The wind was out of the East for some terrible reason and wasn' t right for any of my local stands. So I set up a quick ground blind in the corner of a soybean field. But as Murphy' s law would have it, ever deer I saw come out of the ONE spot that was downwind and they all winded me.

All in all I saw 7 deer total. Kicked up 3 does on my way in, saw 3 more does passing through the edge of the field, and one buck that also winded me. I only got a brief glimpse of white as he was walking through some thick brush, but he looked like a basket 6, maybe an 8.

Hopefully I have some better luck this weekend.

Quick Reply: Illinois bow opener?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.