Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 After work huntng dillemma >

After work huntng dillemma

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

After work huntng dillemma

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default After work huntng dillemma

I'm trying to figure out which may be my better option here. With this the 1st week, warm weather and light a little longer, I can realisitically make 3 options to hunt. I am only after does, but that doesn't lesson theeffort at which I approach my hunting. Its almost 80 degrees here and gets dark 7:20(sooner in the woods)

Option A-
I can reach these hunting spots by 4:10-4:15. then factor changing truckside and getting to a tree & climbing, I could probably be set 445 - 500. BUT these places I don't have a whole lot of faith in, yes deer live there, but I'm not too confident in them.

Option B-
Not real sure what time I'd get here, depends aLOT on traffic which is a huge unknown at this point. Best guess would be 445-500. Lots of confidence, this is my best spot.

Option C-
Get there about5 minutes sooner than option B would. Not as good a spot, but if the oaks are producing, it can be decent.

I'm thinking what I really need to do is negotiate with my boss to be able to leave @ 3 pm a couple days a week. This would make things much easier and lesson the traffic variable.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: After work huntng dillemma

Rybo..I'm kinda in the same boat..as you. I hunt my option "a" area. Because when I go to my best spots. I want to shower and have everything right. Yes It's a low probability hunt..But I'd rather be out having no luck than being athome and wonderring.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, I had planned a few after work hunts myself this week but with temps in the 90s all week I'm not going to bother. I would go with C. That is similar to what I had in mind and I know the oaks a dropping acorns at my lease.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'm thinking what I really need to do is negotiate with my boss to be able to leave @ 3 pm a couple days a week. This would make things much easier and lesson the traffic variable.

A lot of bosses will let you come in an hour earlier so that you can leave an hour earlier if the type of work will allow that kind of flexibility.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The way I read that rybo is that your pretty much getting to the spots in plenty of time, this time of year. I trust your history with the whitetail that you know what to do.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd hunt option A. That gets you more time in the woods without rushing. And it forces you to stay out of your best spots until the rut kicks in.

Or you could hunt Option B and C until the time change, and then swith over to option A for after work hunts.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

i can solve your proplem quit lol i would say option b itis not worth 5 mins to go for the lesser spot

if you go to option a and get say 2 hour do not get a kill but you go to b and get a kill in 1 hour whats the need for the extra 1 hour and remeber to control your scent since you leaving from work good luck and see if you can come in early
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are really going have to see what works for you.I would hunt them all because you are not going to want to be in the same stand day after day. I would also think 5:00pm is OK to be settled in but thats hard to tell without seeing the activity on a scouting cam. Everyday in the am when you shower you can use the scent free soaps and lots of scent killer when you head out to your stand in the evening.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

[:'(] Rybo, you ae looking a litle green in the face, I think you had better call in sick for a couple of days. LOL!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the input guys. I should offer some more background.

This year is my 1st at this job. We have flex hours, but have a core that must be maintained. It runs to 330.
Even though option A is my best spot it will be hunted with all the wind precautions and from the fringes. As would be the treatment for all the spots during this early time. I had hoped to be able to get to options B&C with more time, but it doesn’t look like it due to traffic. Option A is actually a group of 3-4 spots all real close together that I have been hunting the past 2 weeks for does. I’ve been on the ground and very unintrusive. That tactic has also not presented me much action. Could have been the extreme heat and bad moon phase.

Mostly I just wonder if I am completely nuts for wanting to drive nearly an hour and a half in bad traffic to hunt spots I am more comfortable in, or should I just suck it up and hunt the easier spots and be happy that I am even in the woods? I was figuring Monday Tuesday, go for B/C, Wednesday Thursday, A spots and back to B for Fridays (I only work until 1130 AM)

Quick Reply: After work huntng dillemma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.