Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GROCERIES ON YOUR ARROW? >

GROCERIES ON YOUR ARROW?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GROCERIES ON YOUR ARROW?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Default GROCERIES ON YOUR ARROW?

Has anyone else ever had groceries (stomach contents) on an arrow from a broadside, double-lung shot deer? I took a twenty yard, perfect broadside shot on a doe and the arrow dissappeared in the crease of the shoulder halfway up the body. The deerexploded into one of those typical, dead on their feet sprints and dissapeared into an oak scrub. I sat a few minutes, got down to retrieve my arrow and was completely flabbergasted by the green stinky stuff on my arrow. I knew my shot had been perfect and couldn't understand it. I trailed the deer with no problem, there was obvious lung blood coming out both sides and found her about 80 yards away. The arrow had entered exactly where I thought itdid and exited a little lower tight behind the other shoulder. Obviously it had cut the goozle (trachea) but I don't understand how or why there would have been groceries that far forward. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GROCERIES ON YOUR ARROW?

You caught the esophogus(sp) throat leading into the stomach.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Spike

You may also severed the esophagus that may have had partially chewed vegatation in it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

You caught the esophogus(sp) throat leading into the stomach.
Yup. That's what I was thinking too.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 AM

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Shot the deer broadside and found my arrow covered in brown stomach matter. The people I was hunting with told me that I gut shot the deer and that I was making it up that I had hit the deer behind the front shoulder. The next day we found her and sure enough I had hit her behind the shoulder. When I gutted her I found out that I hit the esophagus.