Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trip Cut Short

Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Trip Cut Short

I have been planning an elk hunt in the states for the past 3 years or so. I am currently enrolled in my last year of education at the University of brandon Manitoba and was planning on taking 4 days off of classes giving me 9 days to hunt or so as we do not have school on fridays. I told my profs what the gig was and all were supportive except one who said not to be suprised if i would have to meet with the Dean of the faculty when i returned over this. I figured i better chat with the head office first then b4 i try and sneak away and them find out i am gone. Result=Honesty gets you no where. I did not even get a word in the conversation. As soon as he got word of the situation he came in and started going on a rant with the word NO every second breath. I was told that i have to act like a professional now and get used to having a job and this was in no way excusable. My theory was i know teaching is a proffession this is why i wanted to do this hunt this year, if i get a job next fall i will not be able to take a week off school to hunt. It is a lifetime hunt which must happen now or never. Also anytime he wants to know what a job is like i can takem to the oil rigs with me for a 70 day stint without coffee break, lunch sun up to sun down in -25 and see how it goes.I found out i am allowed 3 excusable days and on the 4th i am called up to a board of appeal. So now i will leave on Monday at 4pm after class and drive all night through the mountains to get to Idaho, yep real safe. Making me hang around this weekend for Monday, 1 more day. And ya right now i am making a puppet show, working on warmup games in physed, rewiewing a journal article and studying a grade 9 science curriculum real tough stuff. lol On the deans list, 4.15gpa, spotless attendance last year but nothin matters. Oh the hoops you have to jump through, i willbe so happy when i am done. Had to vent.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trip Cut Short

Wow, that's a tough deal. Sorry to hear.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. There have been so many times during my time in the Navy where I couldn't take leave to go hunting. Sometimes it was due to operational commitments, which is understandable. There were a couple of times, however, that were caused by one"wonderful individual"who didn't think "hunting" was a good reason to allow someone to go on leave.
Well, enjoy the hunting time you do have, and good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like the school enjoyed there "power trip". That really sucks for you though. Good luck man!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, that is hard to believe that they would be that rough on you. That is bad luck for sure.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hiawatha that stinks. You would think that when you pay the tuition that if you wanted to take a week off of school it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Sounds like maybe you have some PETA lovers in the deans office to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM

That's complete BS. As a fellow student tho I know exactly what you're dealing with. That's why I refuse to give out details anymore. I say "I have things to take care of" and that's it. If they press it I just say I'd rather not talk about it but I need to leave town for awhile to take care of some things. I've never had that much of a problem as you, but it's a pain in the ass. That's all it really is tho, a power trip. Good luck with the hunt, hope you get one.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey bud, hopefully that dude your hunting with in Idaho can put you on some elk during those five days...

update.. 6x5 was in the oats with his shelas last night.. hes getting off the field before first light now.. he must of heard your coming

See ya Tuesday bud, we'll get after ithard..
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with iowabob,

Unfortunately, you probably have a serious anti who got wind of this and is using every means at
their disposal to cause you grief.

How much you want to bet that if you were taking that week off to work with the PeaceCorps,
Greenpeace, Code Pink, ACLU, ANSWER, etc., they would have found a way to accomodate you?

I guess try to turn lemons into lemonade, hunt hard, and bag a nice elk.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is he?? A treehugger!!! or just a creep!!!!!

Hatchet Jack

Quick Reply: Trip Cut Short

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.