Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bow shooter

Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Default new bow shooter

If I was to buy a bow tonight, How long would it take untill I would be ready to hunt? 1 month, 6 months?

Any truth to buying a lefty bow if you're left eye dominate and right handed?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new bow shooter

If you have the right person standing next to you telling you what to do,you could be in form and hittin bullseyes from 50 yards in less than an hour,I`ve done it with friends,ready to hunt? I would stay at the 20 yard range for a while till you feel confident enough to shoot any further-left or right? if you`re left eye dom. and feel good shooting lefty than go with that-good luck!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

depends on the shooter. i taught myself, with help from the internet and these boards within about a month-month and a half. but i have a buddy that started in late june and personally, i dont think he should be hunting. very inconsistant. i make his 20yd groups look bad from 50.

gotta put time and effort into it. not impossible to learn quickly...if you want to learn quickly your best bet is to get with a good coach and get instructions. alot goes into being a decintly good bow shooter. i cant tell you how many arrows i shoot a year. i cant count that high. any time i have a free minute im shooting.

i personally loved seeing how noone around here had archery targets out till just a few weeks ago. or the guys that say they are ready when they are barely hitting a target let alone shooting well.

not sure when your season starts, but most are starting soon and if i were in your shoes, id will till the 07 model bows go on sale, get a killer deal on one and practice for next year...but thats just me. i seem to be different from alot of people (around here not on these forums) and i like to be the best that i can. i shoot from snow out through the season till the season ends...when its cold and snowing i still shoot, just not as much..but from march on, im shooting alot. i owe it to the animals to beable to put my arrow where it'll kill them quick
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i owe it to the animals to beable to put my arrow where it'll kill them quick
amen brotha!!!

same goes for any type of hunting... if you rifle hunt you need to shoot a lot to get the accuracy and technique down and consistant... personally, i'll be waiting until the 08 bows are released and go find a leftover 07 closeout, though i might get anxious as well as i'm in the same boat as the original poster... I wrote off this season and plan on being in the woods next season for bow, i'll stick to gun season this year and practice up during the winter/spring/summer to get ready...
Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I can kind of relate to this since I bought my first bow only a month ago. I think what Mauser said is right on. I think you can be ready in a month if you put in a lot of practice. I've been shooting 70-100 arrows a day since I got my bow and I now feel comfortable that I could make an ethical shot if given the opportunity. You'll want to practice enough so that, especially with a new bow, you'll have time to work out any kinks or setup issues. I recently discovered some major problems with my setup and got them resolved. I'm glad I put in enough time practicing to reveal those problems and not have them appear at "crunch time." Mauser is also right that there are a lot of guys out there that don't put in the time that they should. I was at a range yesterday with some guys who said they don't pull their bows out until a few weeks before season and they're shooting showed it. They never made a solid hit on target, but rationalized it with the familiar "well...it's a dead deer" mantra.

Anyway, yes I think you can get ready fairly quickly. Just put in the time and make your practice count. I would also say, don't judge your readiness by your best shot, but by your worst. And, when hunting, stick to a range at which you know you can perform.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

WhenI started bow hunting I shot for 3 days, went out my first time and took a big doe, was hooked since, it all depends on your teacher, and how confident you are in yourself and in your gear.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am selling bows to people, some of them think that they are rifles. You cant just pick one up and head into the woods.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rankbull

I am selling bows to people, some of them think that they are rifles. You cant just pick one up and head into the woods.

I agree, In my opinionI think you should take some time to get used to shooting your bow and knowing what you and your bow are capable of. Hate to see a wounded animal just because someone is in a hurry to go bow hunting.My opinion would be the same if someone was going to buy a rifle and gohunting after sighting it in and never using a rifle before. just my 2 cents....

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

i got my bow for chirstmas two years ago this xmas ha dit all set up the second week of jan and it took me about a month to get good enough that i would be willing to fire at a deer but i had a bow when i was youngerand know enough tojust start shootingjust depends on you how often you shoot so on i was shooting daily untill i moved that following april

if you had a month or to and shoot every day i say you could get some hunting in this year
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM

JUST PRACTICE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE,I HAVE A LEFT HANDED MATHEWS OUTBACK AND IT IS THE BEST BOW I HAVE EVER SHOT,IF YOUR GOING TO BE SERIUOS ABOUT HUNTN YOU NEED A BOW THAT HAS MINIMAL HANDSHOCK AND MATHEWS IS THE BOW COMPANY THAT FOCUSS MOST ON THAT,DONT BE CHEAP A GOOD BOW CAN LAST MANY YEARS IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT