Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD? >

liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

I hunted both when I first moved to Maryland although I mainly concentrated on Liberty because of proximity to the house. There are a lot of deer in certain areas. There are a lot of hunters in certain areas that tend to keep deer moving but when the pressure becomes real heavy they'll move to private land until the guns start going off. The key is to find an out of the way place where maybe just a point of watershed land comes near the road and people tend to over look it. I killed some deer there and had a lot of fun. I've seen some really nice bucks come out of the watershed near farm land. About 5 years ago I was reminiscing at the end of the season and got a bug to go back to Liberty. The last day of the season I walked into one of my old haunts almost 1/2 mile in. I climbed the tree and watched 19 deer parade by. Not bad after 4 months of pressure to have that many come by the last day. Pretty Boy gets a lot of folks from PA down to hunt because it's close to them. After the first month you'll have Liberty to yourself in most areas. I found a great access to a spot NO one hunted when I befriended a guy that lived in one of the large housing developments backing up to the park. He was all the way back in the development and there was no park access. He let me park in his driveway and walk across his back yard. The nearest access point to where I hunted was probably 3/4 mile away. He was tired of deer eating his shrubbs and wanted them all dead.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM

yea the forest is where the range is.. by northest high school
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

nefariois- have you ever hunted deer there? i so, any success? thanks alot bud. now i need to chose between the forest and liberty. thats what i have narrowed it down to.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: geterdun3

nefariois- have you ever hunted deer there? i so, any success? thanks alot bud. now i need to chose between the forest and liberty. thats what i have narrowed it down to.
I sure don't mean to sound like this, but no one here can tell you where the deer are. I can draw an X for you on a map, but doesn't mean you will be successful. Get out and give it a try. Head up Route 140, and start walking down the lake. Its almost dry now. If you see some heavy trails, stop and take a look. You might see some rubs. Hunt it for evening. I know for a fact, there are deer in prettyboy, liberty, and just about every wooded place in Carroll or Baltimore county.

I myself hate hunting the same spot over and over. I just don't know how some can go to the same stand, year after year. I would be so bored. So I try different trees different spots all the time. Sometimes great, sometimes nothing.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

thanks alot big. thats a good explanation. i will go and try it, but i just thought i could get a general area. like ya said, an X wont help, but a general area with deer sightings would ya know, just somewhere to start. i think its like 9 thousand acres at liberty isnt it? thats alot to cover and find the deer on one day of scouting. but yea, i will try what ya said. ill try to scout thursday and then hunt saturday and maybe do what ya said, find soemwhere thurs. to set up, even if its not that good, hunt there sat. and then maybe get down at like 10 and walk around for a little while. try to find a good evening spot and then go from there. good advise big, thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 PM

hey, this might sound wierd, but i cant find directions to liberty watershed. i found a map of it on the DNR site, but no directions actually of how to get there? i live in baltimore county right around where 695 ends and turns in 702. thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
bigcountry

Well, take 695 to 795 towards Westminster.Turn off onto Route 140.And as soon as you head over Baltimore county into Carroll, your there.

The DNR office in Owings Mills has maps and such to see the boundaries. Thier number is on the DNR website. They might fax you one. I have some somewhere.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

well thanks big country. i didnt se this post til now because im going tomarrow to liberty. i got the map with all the roads from online. it is a 356-9272 # i beleice, i will call it tomarrow and make sure i know exactly where im going. i know where 795 is, i work right there on reistertown road. i beleive the office is at gwynbrook WMA, which i hunted last year

thanks