Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe bedding areas?? >

Doe bedding areas??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe bedding areas??

Old 09-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Doe bedding areas??

i no doe bedding areas are good spots for stands. I was thinkin that they would be for the rut when bucks were crusing through scent checkin. But my question is is it worth it to put a stand on the outskirts of one known bedding area if the timber is only 20 acres big. The possible stand site is howeververy easy to get to and has predicatable wind curents. Also the woods is surronded by 80 acres of corn. I am just worried about bustin the whole woods out.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Doe bedding areas??

If you're really worried about busting out the whole woods then maybe stay back from the bedding area a ways. But place the stand on a main train heading into or out of the area.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the out skirts stay out of the bedroom. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Find a spot between the bedroom and the corn... should be safe depending on how you enter the area with a specific wind direction...sounds like a possible honey hole this Nov...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Spike

i have hunted doe bedding areas and had great success, just depends on the entry route if id put a stand there.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Hey not shure if this will help but heres a photo of the area. Yellow box is the doe bedding area(very thick with grass mixed in). Green area is a foodplot with clover. The blue line wound be my entry route. All fields surounding the woods are corn shown by the redXs.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to askwhere the deer are entering that bedding area. If the winds are right and you can sneak in undetected its best to stay further away. As the season progresses towards the rut and you have had some time to observe the pattern you can move accordingly. My concern would beover hunting it early in the season and alerting the deer to your presence. If you change their patterns before the rut you may spoil that time when the bucks are cruising in search of the "hot doe". Since it is a smaller area the chances are greater that the deer will pattern you. I would hang a stand and leave that small an area until you see the bucks moving during the daylight and then hunt it hard. That is if you are the only one with permission to hunt this area. Just my two cents.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

Hey not shure if this will help but heres a photo of the area. Yellow box is the doe bedding area(very thick with grass mixed in). Green area is a foodplot with clover. The blue line wound be my entry route. All fields surounding the woods are corn shown by the redXs.

If I was to hunt that I would take that road to the east(assuming up is north) and go up till I was about even with the south end of the first corn field and go west looking for trails going out into the fields(afternoon stand)-----Then for morning stand I would use the route you picked and sneak in way before daylight and set up!!
That is if the wind is manily coming out of the northwest!!or top left of your pic!!
I think the deer will feed in the foodplot then turn north to go out in the cornfield!!
Looks like a real good place for afternoon long rangescouting--spotting scope!!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IUSEPSE

I would have to askwhere the deer are entering that bedding area. If the winds are right and you can sneak in undetected its best to stay further away. As the season progresses towards the rut and you have had some time to observe the pattern you can move accordingly. My concern would beover hunting it early in the season and alerting the deer to your presence. If you change their patterns before the rut you may spoil that time when the bucks are cruising in search of the "hot doe". Since it is a smaller area the chances are greater that the deer will pattern you. I would hang a stand and leave that small an area until you see the bucks moving during the daylight and then hunt it hard. That is if you are the only one with permission to hunt this area. Just my two cents.
Ya the area that ive seen the deer entering the bedding area is from the foodplot into the bottom of the bedding area. And also i wouldnt overhunt this stand because i dont even hunt that woods untill the last week of oct. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowKnutt

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

If I was to hunt that I would take that road to the east(assuming up is north) and go up till I was about even with the south end of the first corn field and go west looking for trails going out into the fields(afternoon stand)-----Then for morning stand I would use the route you picked and sneak in way before daylight and set up!!
That is if the wind is manily coming out of the northwest!!or top left of your pic!!
I think the deer will feed in the foodplot then turn north to go out in the cornfield!!
Looks like a real good place for afternoon long rangescouting--spotting scope!!
Ya that first spot u discribed is my best spot, the woods lie at an up hill so you can pop in undected. Tnanks for the help.