Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How hard do you "work" for hunting time? >

How hard do you "work" for hunting time?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How hard do you "work" for hunting time?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How hard do you "work" for hunting time?

My job is project-specific. Right now....I have 3 I'm overseeing in Richmond, VA......4 hours from "home base". I put in 30 hours Tues and Wednesday, alone. I leave, today, to go to a Univ. of SC football game with a client....when i put on my business development hat for our company. It'll be a LOAD of fun.....but it's still "work".

When my season rolls in......I'll likely be in here a little bit early some days (5:00AM)...and leave alittle early (3:30)....or vice versa (dependig on the hunting conditions and what I can afford to do, here).

I've never taken a sick day to hunt......and I've never used a vacation day to hunt. I've banked holidays (I'll be working on Monday) and used them later.....but my vacation time belongs to my family.

Next year may be different. I have a trip to KS planned.....but I'll still be using carried-over vacation or holiday time.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I work for myself so I can set my hours. I will take off on Friday's to have a long weekend. Around rut time I'm gone until I get 1. I have some good employees tey love venison but don't hunt so they handle everything so I can fill their freezers. For the wife it has been a long road to get her off my back but know she is starting to hunt and starting to understand the time it takes to get a quality animal.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have it worked out with my boss so that I can go into work around or before 6 am, and then I'm off by 2:30 or before on the days that I am going to hunt. It's generally a 30 minute drive from work to home, but I also get to hunt right behind my house, and my other spot is about 10 minutes from home. It's going to be alot nicer this year because I am going to be doing some onsite work at one of the factories that I am designing for, and that is only about 10 minutes from home!!! I can't wait for that!!
I also have a week of vacation left this year, and also 9 sick days that I can burn... I've only used 1 sick day before to go hunting, and I shot a deer about quarter to 7! Could have went in a half a day!!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I work out of my house and hunt behind my house so that offers a lot of flexibility.

I hunt most mornings before work from sunup until about 7:50. That way I am in the house, see my daughter before she gets to the school bus and am working by 8.

I hunt the evenings that I can get out and not interrupt the family time. I plan to take my 4 year old son on some ground blind hunts this fall.

My wife has finally realized how obsessed I am at this time. She knows that at any time, when I buck walks thru the yard, I can completely stop what I am doing and be dressed and out the door in minutes.

My boss is very understanding and knows how hard and long I work other times of the year. He also knows if my IM goes offline in Oct/Nov, that I'm out chasing whitetails. When I come back online, his first question is
'Well?'

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i save all my vacation(3wks) for hunting season. One wk for muzzleloader(during the rut) season. The other two for general gun season. I have to build up another 4-5 days comp. time for family vacation in July, orI only get two weeks to hunt. I also work a compressed schedule so I
get off early Friday to hunt that afternoon. Did I mention I love to hunt??
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know being in the military I earn 30 days off per year! Sounds great right! But actually getting my leave approved, well, you might as well forget about it. I have like 60 days on the books. But oh no, I would have to find a replacement before I can actually get any of my earned time off!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 AM

well i work a job im gone 2 or 3 weeks at a time. like now off for 10 days but season dont open til i go back to work. so be working 3 weeks cause DSA has a big hunt planned in tx for a marine that lost his left arm right leg and were hunting with horton crossbows and keith warren and i can't wait going to be a blast
Old 08-31-2007, 06:51 AM

Hunting is not a legal excusefor missing school and football is after school till 6 so, i hunt weekends.

Im in High School of ur wondering.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. My wife gets 2 weeks. That gives me a little playing time during deer season. I always take a week off during the rut and a day here or there during the rest of the season. Works out pretty nice!

Darrall Dougherty
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always managed to work jobs that allowed me to hunt almost everyday of the season even if it was just after work. Lots of times I was able to start early & finish early. Vacation mostly goes towards hunting, I'll take afew daysfor non hunting related stuff. Starting a new job I took a hit with vacation time and they would hear no parts of negotiating[:@]It's annoying but it won't stop me from doing what I want to do. If I run out of vacation I'll just take un paid leave.

Quick Reply: How hard do you "work" for hunting time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.