Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to Handle Trespassers? >

How to Handle Trespassers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to Handle Trespassers?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to Handle Trespassers?

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek
My property is completely fenced in now and posted every 100 ft. There would be no doubt if a personcrossed the fence that theywere indeed trespassing.If someonetrespasses on me and they have a weapon. It is criminal trespass....If the property is properly posted or fencedthere could be someone like me on the other side,stay out!
You make a valid point, brother. Equate it to someone walking up to your door with a shotgun or handgun displayed. People tend to think that since it's the woods, it's okay to come on to someone's property armed. It's definitely a different story if you live there.

I know that you won't take out someone walking across your property, and I can identify with your point. I don't know what they say in the Air Force, but Semper Fi my friend. Stay safe when you return to the sandbox, and take care of those young Americans in your care.

For those who think it's no big deal to hunt on someone else's land -- crossing fences and ignoring or tearing down posted signs, think of it as walking into someone's living room with a weapon. Shouldn't happen. Likewise, if you're not wearing orange when you trespass, you're making a pretty clear statement of your intentions. Don't try to tell me that you didn't know, and please, don't take that moment to ask me for permission to hunt my land!

Anyone who has ever taken a life knows that it is an easy but extremely painful experience - especially months or years later, and no sane mane will do it on a whim. I don't think any of us will be too hard on someone who "accidentally" trespasses.

Intentional trespassers are a matter for law enforcement. That's why I'm heading down to my property tomorrow to replace the posted signs that have been torn down, sliced by hunting knives, shot, and fallen from age. I'll also be repositioning my trail cameras to watch the main trail that these jerks take onto my property. I'll post the pics here, as well as in the local 7-11, sporting goods stores, and hunt clubs. Oh, and I'll be sharing them with the sheriff too. BTW, all of the signs I'm putting up tomorrow clearly state that game trail cameras are in use, so no one should be surprised when their vandalizing / trespassingbutts are published.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Well first of all as an avid Outlaw, you have to catch me!!!
Put your hands on me!.....I am just kidding!!! I found that the best way to
catch tresspassers is to spike trails and places where they park. They cant go nowhere with flat tires!!!! Ya see I probably would let anyone who would "ask" hunt my land, but if ya aint got the sack to come and talk to me, dont come on the property
Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Biggest thing you can do is make sure your land is posted, and posted good. Nobody likes to have people get over on them, but be careful with any form of confrontation. Even in the right, you could be the one that suffers dire consequences. Remember what happened to those fellas in Minnesota a few years back. Confronted a trespasser armed, and a lot of people ended up dead. No fault of their own. Tragic. Call the local law, not the game warden, when you confront trespassers. Do it before you confron them, and let them know you've called. They'll leave quietly. Second time, call the law and prosecute. In Virginia, you deal with the dog hunters for six weeks. By law, they have a right to retrieve dogs off your property. That would be on foot and unarmed. They forget that frequently. County Deputies have no problem reminding them.