Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead vs Field tip placement >

Broadhead vs Field tip placement

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead vs Field tip placement

Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default Broadhead vs Field tip placement

This weekend I was shooting my bow and began with field tips. I was hitting the mark and shooting good, tight groups. I probably shot 30-35 times with field tips. Then I switched to broadheads just to make sure that they would fly the same. Well, when I switched to broadheads I consistently hit low and my groups weren't as tight.

Now, my question to y'all, from your experience, how do broadheads typically fly different from field tips? Should I adjust my sights?

Or, could it have been my arm and shoulder getting tired and the 100 degree heat that I was shooting in that was affecting my shot?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead vs Field tip placement

You bow is likely out of tune all else being equal of course.

Tom
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Bubbahoo18

This weekend I was shooting my bow and began with field tips. I was hitting the mark and shooting good, tight groups. I probably shot 30-35 times with field tips. Then I switched to broadheads just to make sure that they would fly the same. Well, when I switched to broadheads I consistently hit low and my groups weren't as tight.

Now, my question to y'all, from your experience, how do broadheads typically fly different from field tips? Should I adjust my sights?

Or, could it have been my arm and shoulder getting tired and the 100 degree heat that I was shooting in that was affecting my shot?
Lower your nocking point a tad. Could be getting tired. I try to never make adjustments off of one shooting session.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Lower your nocking point a tad. Could be getting tired. I try to never make adjustments off of one shooting session.
Good advice. I would definately try shooting your broadheads first next time. Get a good baseline before you start making any changes.

I wouldn't touch the sights. I'd go with bigcountry's suggestion and slightly lower the nock point. Then shoot the broadheads again. What you want to see is the gap between the broadheads and fieldpoints get smaller. Ideally they should both group together once everything is tuned properly.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Spike

There are a few things that could be affecting your arrow flight with broadheads. It could be that your bow is out of"tune" but it is more likely an arrow spine issue. People, especially Mathews followers like to scare people into thinking bow tuning is akin to finding the holy grail. It's not. Have you paper tested your bow? If not then that is where you start. this will let you know if yourarrows are spined correctly. If you don't tear a near perfect hole side to side than you probably have a spine problem. If your hole is up or down you have a nock point issue. Either one of these will give you inconsistant arrow flight magnified with broadheads. This test will set you free, but you have to be patient!!!!!!!!! Good Luck
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slight adjustments to your rest wont make near the difference to field points as it does for broadheads. In your case like it was mentioned before, shoot them some more and make sure its consistent. If it is make small adjustments to bring the two groups together and once the field tips and broadheads are hitting the same place then you can adjust your sights.