Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Tip vs. Broadhead >

Field Tip vs. Broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Tip vs. Broadhead

Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Field Tip vs. Broadhead

I figured I better shoot some broadheads b4 I go out this sat for opener. Much to my suprise I'm off 8" down and left [:@]. Any body else experience this? shooting a 125 grain Muzzy @ 20yds feilds are 125 grain also and they are dead on!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Field Tip vs. Broadhead

Need to paper tune your bow. Pluse, make sure your broad heads are tunned. A quick broadhead test is to spin it while its on your shaft. If it wables, its out of tune. but I can already tell you, your bow is out of tune.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Site Buck Guru

I always spin my broadheads first and tune the arrows in. I spin the arrows with the BHs installed over an index card. I look for point wobble. If it wobbles, slow down the spin, and see which way it is pointing. This is how it will fly out of the bow. I heat up all BHs on the shaft carefully then rotate the inserts one rev or so and stop when the blade lines up with the fletching. Supposedly, it doesn't matter, but ti does to me. It's one of my head things. By rotating the insert in the shaft you can reseat the insert to be inline with the shaft. You have to mess with it. It works.

As for tuning, my norm with fixed points is that they shoot low, left of my field points. 2" LL @20 yds, 3" @ 30 and 4" @ 40 yds. They are grouping great so I adjust my sight for the BHs. I have 3 bows that only shoot BHs. So changing sights isn't a problem for me. I have a target bow also.

You can tinker and tinker and get BHs and FPs to have the same or close to same POI. But I believe that the difference in point length between FPs and BHs changes their FOC slightly. Sometimes enough so they will not have the same POI.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I find that with a tunned bow, all my broadheads group with my field points. Ive never had a problem with getting my broad head to fly just like my field points. That is if you paper tune to where you are getting a slight high tear. If you tune for a bullet hole, broad heads will fly just a tad off. If you get the slight high tear, you will have no problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

If they group tight but are that far off it's a tune thingy. If they're low left and not grouping worth a flip it's probably a spine problem. That of course is assuming your field points group well. I agree, it all begins with paper tuning. If you can get bullet holes you won't have problems with broadheads if it's the right arrow. I tuned my broadheads for this year back in June so I wouldn't have to worry about it the night before the season. I rechecked them a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Site Buck Guru

My bows and form prefer a slight, high, left tear. I don't get that knuckleball effect then. With different FOCs it is difficult to get the same POI, especially at the longer yardages.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me get this straight, your season starts Saturday and NOW you decided to shoot broadheads? Bow way out of tune, get to a shop and correct your issue or you might have to miss Saturday opener until your proficient with your bow/arrow/broadhead setup.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

If they group tight but are that far off it's a tune thingy. If they're low left and not grouping worth a flip it's probably a spine problem. That of course is assuming your field points group well. I agree, it all begins with paper tuning. If you can get bullet holes you won't have problems with broadheads if it's the right arrow. I tuned my broadheads for this year back in June so I wouldn't have to worry about it the night before the season. I rechecked them a couple weeks ago.
Very good point. David knows his stuff.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Davidmil seems right to me, there is a lot to say about wisdom.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My BH and FP do not have the same POI. Tned the bow etc. yada,yada..The point is once I sight in with my BH they group just as well as the FP,just not the POI. Thats why as of early aug I shoot only BH.

Quick Reply: Field Tip vs. Broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.