Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade? >

Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade?

I was wondering what advantages 3 blades and 4 blades have over each other. I shoot a MX-4's but does that extra blade mean the deer wont go further or is it just there and really dont do anything more than a 3 blade?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade?

What it means is that you have an extra blade and an extra cut for the animal to bleed out of. It is more deadly and should cause quicker bleeding etc but I think the jury's out on whether your normal bowhunter will notice a difference but should definitely help on a less than optimal shot. The negative is that you have to push an extra blade through the animal which with todays compounds and a light animal such as a deer shouldn't matter. On bigger animals or with slower less powerful bows I think you should stick with three blades or even two blades for more sure penetration. The basic theory is the same as a bed of nails.Lay down on a handful of nails and it will kill you but lay down on bed of nails and you can probably go to sleep. 4 blades may also be easier to tune/less likely to plane etcbut since any broadhead you shoot should be hitting where you aim at and tuned to your bow I will leave it out of the equation. Hope it helps.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the advantages, 3 blade 4 blade?

http://www.broadheadtests.com/FAQ.html