Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Meat???

Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bad Meat???

A friend gave me a freezer full of elk meat last year because he didn't have space for it. The freezer started acting up and I noticed one day the temp was 36°. I took everything out and placed it into another freezer. All of the meat had thawed out but I froze it again. Is the meat still good? Do I take a chance on it? I'm thinking about cooking some up and seeing how it is. Your opinions? and no...I won't send any to you to check it out.....my wife is stingy about her elk.

Dieing to know...
Reid
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad Meat???

As long as you where yer scent loc while cooking it you'll never notice the odor...........[:-]
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM

If it thawed i think if u let it freeze for 3 month to be safe.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

........and no...I won't send any to you to check it out.....my wife is stingy about her elk.
LOL ... Iwas gonna write that! It'll be fine ....... not to worry ... make some jerky out of it
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

My understanding is that if you thoroughly cook pretty much any meat that is not poisonous to begin with, you can safely eat it. I recently went for a tour through George Washington's home, Mount Vernon. One of the guidessaidGW always had trouble with his food storage and thatthis was fairly common at that time. So there were recipe books specifically for cooking with spoiled food. Yum!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks...looks like I will surprise my wife this weekend and put a smile on her face...with some cooked elk meat...

for those of you who were thinking other thoughts...

Reid
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Spike

Check with your local butcher... he/she will tell you.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Even though the meat thawed I see that the temperature was only 36 degrees so you'll be ok.It's no different than if you took some out and put it in the refrigerator to thaw for a couple of days.A refrigerators temperature is 41 degrees or less(at least it should be). Eat it.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Same thing happened to me this year, had a couple deer from last year in there and most thawed, but we re froze it and it is still fine
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on how long it was thawed out. I think that meat that was not at 36 for more then a day or so would be fine. remeber your frige is someware around there the stuff that make you sick starts to grow around 40 i would cook some and give it to soemone eles lol just joking i have had meat in my frige that was getting old that i refroze and i have never been sick if it is dark brown or smells bad toss it

Quick Reply: Bad Meat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.