Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how many years did it take to get that first deer kill >

how many years did it take to get that first deer kill

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1 year
26.87%
2-4 years
33.58%
5-6 years
8.21%
7-10 years
5.22%
11-15 years
0.75%
16 or more years
0.75%
still waitting
10.45%
less then one year
14.18%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

how many years did it take to get that first deer kill

Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many years did it take to get that first deer kill

First year with the rifle I got 2 bucks, took 5 years with the bow.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Still waiting...this is my 1st year hunting deer.

So far, this is all I got...

Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Got my first with a rifle last year, and still tryin with my bow. Thats my ultimate goal to take a deer with my bow. Just the fact that it's much more difficult where i hunt to get deer in to our property, let alone within bow range. My very first time out an 8 pointer walked right underneath me and i didnt even see it till the last minute(sneaky SOB's). Shot right under its belly. Ever since then i've been taking so much care to be prepared, and god bless the next deer that comes waltzing by, cause he's gonna be a mount above the wood-burning stove at the cabin.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Me, Dad and the brother where the first in the family to hunt deer so we had to start from scratch. I was nine then and dad shot the first Doe when I was fifteen I think with a shotgun, we had a big learning curve and no one was giving good advise. He bought me my first CB when I was sixteen I think, and I shot my first deer, a doe at the age of eighteen. Been having good luck ever since. Did not hunt the first year I was married and then have only had miss years when I have rack hunted.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

1yr with a gun 2 yrs with a bow
Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer with a bow was taken my first year bowhunting, opening day, about 1 /2 into the hunt. So not very long.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 3 hours. I got lucky (and thats what it was) my first time out. been hooked ever since.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on taking my first bow-kill this year, my first year. Since I bought my first bow in February, there needs to be a less than 1 year option. I'm gonna connect. I can feel it.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many years did i take to get that first kill

it took me about 1 month.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many years did i take to get that first kill

It took me longer to get my first gun kill deer than it did to get my first bow kill. When I first started I was pretty much self taught and had no clue what I was doing and I hunteda place that didn't have a bunch of deer. I had a borrowed shotgun that I never sighted in (and it shot about a foot and a half low due to a aftermarket poly-choke) and felt that walking around was the best way to find deer. Needless to say I saw a lot of white flags and when I did get shots I was hitting around their feet. I finally connected and seemed to do better after that. When I took up bowhunting suddenly I was seeing deer act just like I always read they should. I also hunted from stands more. I killed my first bow buck before the end of October, if I remember right. So bow wise, it was less than a month but I had learned a lot more about hunting by that time, and I'm still learning. I'm trying to progress from just any deer to the more "mature" deer. Part of that is because where I hunt now I can kill small bucks and doe just about every trip out and they just don't present the challenge anymore,partiallybecause I'm a better hunter and partially because I hunt better land. Well, that's my long answer.

Quick Reply: how many years did it take to get that first deer kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.