HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many years did it take to get that first deer kill
Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Talondale
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many years did i take to get that first kill

It took me longer to get my first gun kill deer than it did to get my first bow kill. When I first started I was pretty much self taught and had no clue what I was doing and I hunteda place that didn't have a bunch of deer. I had a borrowed shotgun that I never sighted in (and it shot about a foot and a half low due to a aftermarket poly-choke) and felt that walking around was the best way to find deer. Needless to say I saw a lot of white flags and when I did get shots I was hitting around their feet. I finally connected and seemed to do better after that. When I took up bowhunting suddenly I was seeing deer act just like I always read they should. I also hunted from stands more. I killed my first bow buck before the end of October, if I remember right. So bow wise, it was less than a month but I had learned a lot more about hunting by that time, and I'm still learning. I'm trying to progress from just any deer to the more "mature" deer. Part of that is because where I hunt now I can kill small bucks and doe just about every trip out and they just don't present the challenge anymore,partiallybecause I'm a better hunter and partially because I hunt better land. Well, that's my long answer.