Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery, What to do After the Shot. >

Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

ORIGINAL: dragonslayer1

You got it, MJ. Here in North Florida in bow season you'd better be on the blood trail pretty quick. Our woods are absolutely infested with bears and it is rare that a dead deer will make it 'till morning without being devoured. If it does, there's a good chance it will be bloated and spoiled. I even had a grey fox eat a large portion of a ham off a deer I didn't find until a couple hours after dark, would've thought it was a 'yote if I hadn't seen him. Anybody else ever had a fox eat part of a deer?
Like I mentioned with the coyotes, be it them, bears, or other predators, personally I'd stay in the woods and listen. Of course tracking in extreme heat, you still have sometime before the meat would spoil. I'd wait as long as possible on the marginal hits. Better to recover then to never know. If you push and animal that is not going to bleed out, ie gut shot, you won't get them anyway. Which is worst, never getting an animal or finding one you cannot use? Knowing or not knowing?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 AM

Peroxide sounds great in following a blood trail that would even reveal the smallest specks of blood nice Post's guy's
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 AM

agreed, since we'll be filming, ill just watch the tape. but if its too close to call, im pulling out. finding a deer with spoiled meat, is ALOT better than not finding one at all.
ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

The toughest scenario to me would be an unsure shot at dusk and its 80+ degrees. Knowing the meat
probably won't be good in the morning would make that a tough call.
agreed, since we'll be filming, ill just watch the tape. but if its too close to call, im pulling out. finding a deer with spoiled meat, is ALOT better than not finding one at all.
I could not of said it better myself
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM

I'd agree with Davidmil, and our moderator. I'm nota big advocate of waiting (my handle notwithstanding), especially in warm weather. I lost a deer to predators once that I left overnight, and I know that it died within minutes of the shot. I think broadhead design and sharpness should be emphasized more. I've been using bear razorheads for 15 years, and swear by them. I've recovered many deer that would be considered to be marginally hit. I sharpen the razorheads myself, and I'll admit that they are not always 100% perfect(sometimes the edge gets slightly deteriorated just from hunting), but they really do a good job. I never shoot a broadhead that has been shot and not resharpened. Another strong point to emphasize is not to give up on the blood trail. Often if you can't easily find blood it is tempting to just look for the deer. In most cases it is better to get down on the ground, find the blood and follow it. There will usually be blood if you look close enough. Having said that, I've recovered a couple of deer where I never found any blood. If you're sure of a good hit and you are using good sharp broadheads, don't doubt - just go find that animal. I'm always mystified by the horror stories, of people making good hits then jumping the deer hours later, not recovering them. It has never happened to me with a razorhead. It has been my experience that they die quickly or not at all.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Great post Rob!

I would like to ask though, what kind of hit would require you to "bleed out" a deer.

Also, you were saying about a deers lungs working in a negative pressure environment, how does this make it possible for a deer to survive a single lung hit? Wouldnt both lungs collapse when the arrow penetrated the thoracic cavity?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

Great post Rob!
Thank you, it's great from everyone.

I would like to ask though, what kind of hit would require you to "bleed out" a deer.
A major vein/aertery in the forward in the front shoulder, neck, hams. This would require arrow impact identification. If you know your not in the body cavity, you might need to push him to keep it bleeding.

Also, you were saying about a deers lungs working in a negative pressure environment, how does this make it possible for a deer to survive a single lung hit? Wouldnt both lungs collapse when the arrow penetrated the thoracic cavity?
A deer can actually survive from a double lung hit if it were up in the upper lobes and does not collapse the lungs or bleed enough. However, I think someone else made that post/reply about the pressure enviroment and your giving the credit to me.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Spike

hey guys.. my first post.... but ive been reading this forum for almost 2 years. . . just wanted to say hello. i am a fellow bowhunter from Northeastern Ohio.... 30min from Cleveland ( go tribe!) . . I have been bowhunting and bowfishing for about 15yrs. . .

i have always been a big advocate on using a game tracker string attached to my arrow... i know i know... its outdated ..blah blah blah.. though, ive never shot a whitetail further than 18yds... so i enjoy having the aide there while tracking. it doesnt impact my flight to 25yds either.

anyways, heres a little military tip used to search for a blood trail on your next venture. we all know that peroxide will work... ive used that dozens of times on morning hunts in daylight.... but at night time, the age-old tactic was always a coleman lantern which makes blood 'glow' in its light...to a degree it works.
well a more modern tactic im surprised no one has said is UV LIGHT , or ultraviolet light (purple black light) to aide in tracking. .

it has been used for decades by the military and by forensic searches in crime scenes(and nasty hotel rooms) to detect bodily fluids. i just picked up a new 51 LED UV flashlight for 15$ .. . tracked a doe with it last saturday night... and the results are ridiculous! the beam is like a large flood beam rather than a narrow maglite.
in northern ohio, our fall started real early this year, and leaves are turning early so it is dificult to see blood with a backdrop of red leaves. .. try the light. . sorry if this is a repost. . . happy slaying!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: italianjeremy

hey guys.. my first post.... but ive been reading this forum for almost 2 years. . . just wanted to say hello. i am a fellow bowhunter from Northeastern Ohio.... 30min from Cleveland ( go tribe!) . . I have been bowhunting and bowfishing for about 15yrs. . .

i have always been a big advocate on using a game tracker string attached to my arrow... i know i know... its outdated ..blah blah blah.. though, ive never shot a whitetail further than 18yds... so i enjoy having the aide there while tracking. it doesnt impact my flight to 25yds either.

anyways, heres a little military tip used to search for a blood trail on your next venture. we all know that peroxide will work... ive used that dozens of times on morning hunts in daylight.... but at night time, the age-old tactic was always a coleman lantern which makes blood 'glow' in its light...to a degree it works.
well a more modern tactic im surprised no one has said is UV LIGHT , or ultraviolet light (purple black light) to aide in tracking. .

it has been used for decades by the military and by forensic searches in crime scenes(and nasty hotel rooms) to detect bodily fluids. i just picked up a new 51 LED UV flashlight for 15$ .. . tracked a doe with it last saturday night... and the results are ridiculous! the beam is like a large flood beam rather than a narrow maglite.
in northern ohio, our fall started real early this year, and leaves are turning early so it is dificult to see blood with a backdrop of red leaves. .. try the light. . sorry if this is a repost. . . happy slaying!
Great advice, I don't believe it was touched on before. That's why I love this thread, lots of tips and I learn something every year.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Spike

Great advice, I don't believe it was touched on before. That's why I love this thread, lots of tips and I learn something every year.

yeah, you can find the flashlights on ebay for under 20$ theyre fun to play around with in the house too... youde be surprised what you can find! but itll light up blood immensely. be sure to get one with atleast 30 led's
Old 10-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget the most important task after the shot! Call someone form HNI to get the word out, and start the pre-post, Pre-pic,feeding frenzy

Quick Reply: Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.