Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Brighter Flashlight? >

Brighter Flashlight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brighter Flashlight?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brighter Flashlight?

What flashlight is generally brighter? LED or Zenon? Im trying to find something nice and just wanted some general advice.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Brighter Flashlight?

The brightest Ive bought and the handiest was an LED hat light. However I got it wet alot b/c I fished bass tournaments at night and I wound up having to buy a new one this year for deer season.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM

Up close LED is pretty bright but there is no beam, at least with the LED's I've used. I also have a xenon and its great up close and casts and awesome bright beam. Downside is that batteries are expensive and only last maybe 3 hours.

I have one of each...I have a xenon for tracking and use an LED headlamp for walking through the woods, setting up my climber etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its bright you want, then a Surefire G2 you should get.

They run $35, batteries run for 60min.. and they don't fade, they just die. I have run my boat in the dark using my G2 instead of a spotlight. They are very powerful and very compact. Having batts that are $26/dz and 2 only run for an hour is a turn off to lots of folks... but believe me, it really is worth it. And having a full hour of good strong light is much better than having 15 min of good like and 4 hours of crappy light.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20158&id=0034557516961a&navCount=5& podId=0034557&parentId=cat20158&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=7IS&rid =&parentType=index&indexId=cat20158&ha sJS=true

I have the 9volt version of this light.....looks like they don't offer it anymore? Anyway, these things will burn your retinas out.[:-]
Mine is 120 lumens and it's like a tiny spotlight so I can't imagine what that 180 lumen 12 volt model looks like, yikes!
Not too terribly expensive either and they are fantastic tracking lights because they are so bright and white.
I don't think I've ever seen an LED light that was brighter than a Xenon? LED bulbs last longer but brightness? .....eh, I could be wrong but I don't think so.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

SwampCollie you saved me alot of typing. The only thing I would add is that in a dark room, if you shine a 4d maglite on a wall and then shine a surefire at the same time you would not even know the 4d was on. And the surefire is smaller than two d batteries. It is incredibly bright. I'm a surefire guy definitly...Love em
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

If you are looking for something that has a long beam, that will reach over 100 yards or more, xenon is the way to go. Led lights are good for up close stuff. I have a browning 9volt, 140 lumensxenon light and it the best light I have ever use, very bright, compact and the beam will blind somebody up close, the beam can easily reach 100 yards. I thinkbrowning made a new led light that is suppose to rival the xenon but I haven't try it yet.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

surefire and streamlight are the two best and brightest flashlights you will find. Pricey, but you won't be dissappointed with the beam of light.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Surefire makes THE BEST flashlight without a shadow of a doubt.
They are extremely bright, waterproof, durable, and oh yeah, even stop a bullet, and keep on working. (it was in an article in a magazine) A man had his surefire in his shirt pocket, reached back in his truck to get his 22 mag, and bang! the light stopped the bullet, saved his life, and it still worked after being shot. I have about a dozen surefires, They make some really nice LED lights you may want to check out, The Aviator, It has a white led, blue led and red led. Really nice light, very bright. The G2's Ex2's are very small and bright as well, but they are xenon.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM

xenon is alot brighter for a more kinda focused beam but led is better for area and close up beam