Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tresspassers 2

Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default tresspassers 2

what methods if any do you all use to catch people on you landf or lease land and what methods do you use to keep quads dirtbikes and so on of your land also in you area what are the laws and time and trouble you can get for trespassing and if we all lobbyed the hibbys on capital hill to make tougher laws then we would not have this proplem
Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Default RE: tresspassers 2

Dude I think you are fighting a lost cause unless you can actually catch them in the act. I dont think that you can keep a dirt bike or a fourwheeler out of anything. Unless somebody knows something that I dont. You can try spikes but they will grow accustomed to knowing where they are, I did. However I do know that the property owners inside our small town city limits used to string up barb wire about chest high and/or cables to keep fourwheelers out, I first hand experienced some of those in my younger days. You would be driving your normal little trail just out ridding and all of a sudden. There youd be either thrown over then handle bars because your brakes actually caught or flat backed with the fourwheeler rollin down the trail. I dont suggest that method however. You never know what could happen. In the present day and age you could probably get sued for stuff like that if there was an "accident."
Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

It's a sad time when you can get sued if somebody gets hurt while illegally trespassing on your property. But I find a few well-placed rifle shots are adequate to scare them away. Just make sure you're well-hidden, and a long distance away.

Or just rig landmines and be prepared to bury the bodies.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

kill em. no, but really [8D], the only way i have stopped them is by being there when they tresspass and have your scary voice cocked and loaded.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

It is reasonable to believe that barb wire strung at or around neck height on a well defined quad/motorcycle trail is a negligent/reckless act on the part of the property owner. Cases such as this have been litigated before and it never plays out well for the property owner. My advice would be to contact the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction in your area and refer the problem to them. I would post the property with marked
"no trespassing" signs with proper capitalization and punctuation.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM

That is pretty much the only thing you can do because I know in Tennessee if you dont have the posted signs up and you catch some tresspassers you can't prosecute them. So make sure they are up and are in plain sight so that they cant say they didnt see them. Or in MO I think you can just spray paint a Purple Spot on the tree closest to the property line. I believe that is accepted in place of a no tresspassing sign. Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could put up a normal fence consisting of a few strands of barbed wire. That and signs did the trick for us.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM

I finally had to put up fence, alot of hard work and money. They still climbed the fence and stole my no trespassing signs. If they come on the property and have a weapon. It is criminal trespass and I pitty the fools if I am there.One false move and it is my word against theirs. 50 yrs old and no more patience. If it is fenced and posted, they know what they are doing when they climb the fence and are at high risk.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with FOP23. Post your property with signs and contact the local conservation officers about the problem. Dont set spikes or put up barb wire, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. That could even kill someone. Some people put up trail cameras to catch the trespassers, but you always take the chance of them finding it and stealing the camera.