Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that don't think location or numbers matter >

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Location is a very important ingredient, maybe the most important. Yet there are a lot of other important ingredients as well ( Time off, access to hunting areas, experience, skill, knowledge, fortitude, hunting pressure, willingness to go the extra mile or ten, etc, etc).

Can additional amounts of one or more ingredients help make up for deficiencies in another?? Yes.

Can they always completely make up forthe deficiency? Depending on which ingredient is missing, maybe, maybe not.

I know this is obvious to almost anybody that knows anything about hunting, so what the general point of this thread is, is a little confusing

Except that obviously Michael Hunsacker is a known chef, baking with probably all ofthe ingredients to make "big buck pie"
Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the feeling if deer tag data was obtained that the most predictive value of size would be location. The dataset would be nearly impossible to compile though. In addition to location (State, County etc....), I believe location type would be just as predictive though exist mostly as a lurking variable, (ie Private vs Public, farmland vs woods vs swamp)

I agree with you Atlas.

Tom
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Now a question for you. Do you think, that by having say 4 5.5 year old bucks on a 600 acre property that they are any dumber than the one 5.5 year old that is running around your woods? If so, why?
All depends on the amount of pressure they have received. Four 5.5 bucks on a quiet farmland that has little to no pressure year after year are no where near the same animal as one that has managed to slip through the cracks of heavy hunting pressure year after year and learned how to survive.

Age alone does not make a buck harder to kill...........without the experience to make them even more leary of danger they are simply older. I have 140-150 class bucks that will stand within 20 yards of me EVERY year in my yard. They have the age but no experience to make them fear humans so they don't. Throw them out in the woods and they are dead meat before 7:30am.
No argument to that point, but I am going to use the Drury's as an example again. On their managed property, the only way those bucks got that big was because they were passed as 2.5 and 3.5 year olds. During that time they have winded those guys while hunting, they have smelled where they have walked in, and surely noticed stands being put up. Those deer have seen pressure, maybe not what a buck in my area or your area would see, but still they know human=bad.

If I understand your argument correctly, because there are so many of them, and despite they have been hunted all of their lives but been allowed to walk, you feel they would be easier to kill than a buck of the same age in your huning area.

Is that a correct assessment of what you are saying?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

No doubt about it Location is key.
Thank you for being honest.

I sincerely hope you understand I wasn't trying to single you out or make this about YOU in any way. Your situation is just the PERFECT example for this thread because we have seen what you have done already and with the trail cam thread we see what you will soon be doing again.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the feeling if deer tag data was obtained that the most predictive value of size would be location.
For the record I think we all agree on location, no one has said location is not the differnce.

Atlas is happy hunting where and how he chooses to hunt. So to whom ever started this thread leave Atlas alone[:-]
Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I think this post was made too personal.

Sigh............I don't know how much clearer I could have been.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree it's therest of us not you
Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Atlas I understand that you did not mean it to be "about" Michael, but you mentioned him by name so what on earth did you think was going to happen? I just think that the point could have been made just as well without using anyone's name, but hey it's your world man I'm just living in it.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

There is no doubt that location matters. Especially when you consider that there are, and will continue to be until legislation is passed, folks like you that refuse to explore the benefits of QDM.
I explored them..............and said "No thanks". End of story. I couldn't care less if you like it or not.

The simple fact is that you speak to that which you do not know.
That's weird, especially when you opened up by agreeing with me.

You have never spent a season hunting in a location that harbors a quality deer herd so you cannot offer any valid argument.
I have spent 20 of them actually............oh that's right I forgot that you measure "quality" by rack size I keep getting mixed up and thinking you guys actually care about the health of the herd.

The assumptions you make post after post infuriate me and are so frickin' ridiculous.
Truth hurts sometimes.

It is sad that it will require laws to be passed for browner downers to come arounder.
Yea, we really should force other people to go along with our beliefs. After all, history has shown that to work flawlessly for religions and the mid 40's in Germany were a real hoot
Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If location REALLY doesn't matter... at all...

Then y'all won't be shy about posting the GPS coordinates of your favorite deer stands. Feel free to add driving directions - maybe tell us where the best parking area is... et cetera...You can easily just find a new spot to hunt - since any chunk of woods is as good as the next...

Or maybe you'd be prepared to explain to me why people spend millions every year traveling from the east coast - just to sit in a treestand for a week in Pike Co., IL or Biggar, SK. I mean, hell, it's just as easy to shoot a 150-class deer in Delaware, right?

Now I'm not saying that "location" is the end-all, be-all of hunting (it's not).There are plenty of other intangibles (food, carrying capacity, hunting pressure, antler management program, property size, etc...) - but location is a very valid consideration.

So let's get those GPS coordinates in. I'm ready for a Realtree Roadtrip of my own.

Yea, location and deer numbers don't matter yet we see countless threads every year telling guys NEVER to give up their prime stand locations and whatever you do don't tell someone else if you saw a nice deer.

Quick Reply: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.