Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that don't think location or numbers matter >

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Old 08-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Only 1,000 times a week.............isn't it funny how the guys who live in the prime areas are always the ones saying it doesn't matter?? I wonder how many
Please Prove this statement Please list the 1000 post this week.That is right what you can not prove is your Opinion

Mi is the one of the worst1 in 5000 chance NY is around 1 in3000, and PA really sucks Sorry

Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Well Atlas I understand that you did not mean it to be "about" Michael, but you mentioned him by name so what on earth did you think was going to happen?

I figured a room full of intelligent adults would be able to comprehend it.

I just think that the point could have been made just as well without using anyone's name, but hey it's your world man I'm just living in it.
Michael's situation is perfect..........because everyone has seen it and become familiar with it over the last couple years. I couldn't have been more clear about the intention of the thread. That is all I can reasonably do............I can't phathom how some people still smoke today with all the information we have about that but I see it everyday.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

For the record I think we all agree on location, no one has said location is not the differnce.
For the record......We didn't all "Agree" when I made the same post a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Ky. I guess thats a good location. I hunt public land, I plant no food plots,I have no game cams,I don't even manage it, just take a deer or two every year. Most people that hunt where I live have 10-15 small racks on the side of thier shed and say,there are no big deer around here. They shoot the first buck they see. But some know there are big bucks, because I go show them off beforeI skin'em out. I work for the railroad and have a family, they share my passion.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Complaining, crying, whining, beeatching, and now debunking a myth? Sounds all the same to me!
There's your problem then..............when you can decipher the difference you will begin to understand better.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

No, i completely understand. I have several awesome pieces of property that hold good deer. They deer have always been good but through my managing efforts it has gotten even better. Im not saying this can be done anywhere though. You gotta have the right ingredients to make big buck stew I happen to have a few of them given to me and ive worked my ass of for the other ones. Now it is all starting to pay off.
Thanks for being cool about it and understanding.

I am 100% not surprised.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

No, i completely understand. I have several awesome pieces of property that hold good deer. They deer have always been good but through my managing efforts it has gotten even better. Im not saying this can be done anywhere though. You gotta have the right ingredients to make big buck stew I happen to have a few of them given to me and ive worked my ass of for the other ones. Now it is all starting to pay off.
Thanks for being cool about it and understanding.

I am 100% not surprised.
He's Hunsucker most everyone said the exact same thing.

1. You have to have them

2. You have to work hard

I think you will agree if youhave them or not you have to do number 2 to consistantly kill whitetails.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I am going to use the Drury's as an example again. On their managed property, the only way those bucks got that big was because they were passed as 2.5 and 3.5 year olds. During that time they have winded those guys while hunting, they have smelled where they have walked in, and surely noticed stands being put up. Those deer have seen pressure, maybe not what a buck in my area or your area would see, but still they know human=bad.

Do they??............that scent they smelled and the sights they saw posed no threat to them whatsoever. (Besides, I thought they couldn't smell the Drury boys due to all that carbon ) "Forget the wind".............just kidding man.........but seriously if those sights, sounds and smells never=danger before why would they fear them next time?? When a deer smells a human and then gets 5 slugs whizzing past his head I would think the effect is more lasting
Brucelanthier made the same point above, and to be honest, I never thought of it that way. To me, deer would just have an inheirent fear of humans, especially in their core area, but I guess it stands to reason that while that instinctive fear may be there that learned behavior through nothing bad happening may have them less skittish than the deer that run 5 miles through PA getting away from the orange army.

I'm still not letting go of my belief that all big bucks are a challenge, but you are making some good points that their behavior may be different in areas with less pressure. I can't speak to that since I've never hunted the "big buck states."

I can say this, while living in Florida I hunted a lease in Georgia that was on a peanut farm. Those deer were not heavily pressured by PA standards and there were some nice deer on that property. They were SPOOKY. I've never seen deer react to scent and little things that I could get away with in other areas. So, while geographic influence probably does exist, it is not necessarily directly linked to pressure.

So, while the pressure you and I know will most certainly affect behavior it is not the only factor there. Age, and some unknowns are there as well, at least from my experience.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Fact YOU bring it up time after time. That is called whining
No it's not. Why is everyone that has big bucks running around so insecure about it?? Is it because they want everyone to think it was a herculean effort EVERY time they kill one..........or they want everyone to believe they are the only capable of such a feat and any other hunter in their shoes would fail???

Why so defensive all the time??

Every post turns into

"I don't shoot big deer because of where I live" Greatwe know.
Show me where I have said even one time that I am not happy with the land I hunt..........just once.

Ok from now on ALL of HNI Atlas shoots the deer he wants, because it is not worth the time for him to try and shoot big deer.
Never said that.

He enjoys hunting the way he does.

Which is it germ...........whining or enjoys??? You are talking in circles.

There is only onemature deer within1 sq mile of where he hunts(Hammondsport, NY).
That's not where I hunt.............I have hunted there a couple times a few years ago. You need to get your facts straight.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Location is one of many factors, most likely the largest.
Just like my height and athletic ability would rule out my being in the NBA, no matter how
much I devoted my life to that goal. Similarly, some areas of the country will probably never
yield world class deer.

Most people take what hey are given. There are pockets in untraditional areas (especially the
South), where people have worked on it and are getting closer to neutralizing the location
factor. Good soil, food plots, proper management, and even fences (yikes), can help tilt the balance.

Hunsucker's situtation just makes it possible to take massive bucks. I'm sure there are many
people in his area that have little to show for their efforts. Hell, his trailcam thread itself
shows all the work he puts into hunting and patterning those bucks.

Lastly, you are probably correct Atlas that the age of the buck and buck concentration likely
have less to do with buck sightings (skittishness) than the deer's experience. That is
why in heavy hunting pressure areas, a large buck may truly be "nocturnal" or very close to it.
It should be fairly obvious that uneducated, unhunted deer will be easier to kill.

Edit: Although for the rut, high buck concentrations or high buck to doe ratios result in a lot more
buck activity = more competition, fewer does to breed, since all does are quickly bred creates
very intense rut, etc.

BTW, I don't see anything "circular" in Germ's posts.

Quick Reply: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.