Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Different Scenario than only taking does. >

Different Scenario than only taking does.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Different Scenario than only taking does.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Different Scenario than only taking does.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'll admit.....I love the thoughts of taking a "trophy". Once I have a couple of these on my wall.....I'm sure I "might" think differently. I'm being honest when I say that I put some work into what I have, now.....and if it's "selfish" for wanting to reap the benefits of this work.....then that's what it is.
There is nothing wrong with how you feel ,you asked how others feel about what you are doing and you heard.

When the day comes that you are happier that those hunting with you bag a great buck then you will have come full circle.

On the day I shot the biggest buck of my life a Friends son called me to tell me about his buck ,it was a 1.5 year old seven point and he was walking on the moon.I drove to their farm and helped drag it out that evening. I was as proud of him as if he were my own son. The day was his.

And To this day he does not know I had a huge ten point in the back of my truck the whole time.

When you do and you will realize its not about you ,then your time in the woods will become priceless. And only then will you understand the gift that you have at your finger tips.

I wish you the best , Jim
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

hillbilly....

I've been "hunting" for 30+ years......and my greatest day afield never saw me reach for the bow.

Hunting's personal....different for you than for me....and different for you NOW than it was in the past (likely). I see each season being different in its own right (for me).

That journey....is definitely the part I look forward to. My priorities are mine....and they are sound.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Jim....

You kiddin?

When you do and you will realize its not about you ,then your time in the woods will become priceless. And only then will you understand the gift that you have at your finger tips.
I have a 15 yr old son! That stuff's in the manual!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMAT...I'm down in Asheboro...If I remamber right you are in the Winston area...Now I grew up down east...We have our own problems down there with dog hunters, but hunters in this part of the state can be very "agressive" when it comes to killing deer, especially a buck...

When I was a kid I could walk out my back door and hunt in any direction with no problems, we knew everybody...
It's just not that way anymore......We own property, about 850 acres down east, when I got on a local lease in Randolph county I was amazed that the 6 guys that had this lease had never tried to help the habitat even though they had had the land over 20 years...The first year I started with a small food plot and have expanded this each year, I also started putting out minerals, not just salt blocks...These guys have never offered to pitch in...Their way to hunt is to start putting out corn 2-3 weeks before the season, they feel they aren't hunting unless they are over a corn pile...Don't know squat about how to scout, how to stay out of bedding areas, how to call, use scents, etc...I started getting pictures of some nice young bucks, showed these to the other guys on the lease, we all agreed to let them walk so they could turn into a decent buck...

You know what happened....One of these guys started feeding on land beside where "my area" is (we all have certain sections that we are in charge of)...He didn't even have permission to hunt the land, but, the landowner doesn't hunt....1st day of rifle this nice young 6 point walks in, one I had showed them, he kills it...

His dad and one other brother are on the hunt, don't own any land but what their home is on...They just can't understand or see the advantage of long term habitat enhancement or herd development...They are "takers", just don't put anything back...

You do have to be very careful what you share with others...I love to help young folks learn and have been there when several of my nephews/nieces/cousins etc have killed their first deer...In fact. a couple of years ago we had a young lady come hunt our land down east through the Buckmasters program for disabled hunters...

I have quit sharing info with some of the guys on the local lease because they can't be trusted.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM

I think it is indivual and I think many of us differ on what hunting truly means to them. This season will be my fourth hunting. I could care less about trophy hunting ( I would love to get one on the wall, but not my priority). To me it is the experience, and teaching that experience and values to my children (my son will be doing his first bow hunting this year). Last season was my best season so far, not beacuse of what I harvested, but because of the experiences I had.

Due to leasing, hunting land is not easy to come by here. If someone told me I could hunt and only take a management buck or just a doe, I would be there and abide by the landownersrules.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya hawkeye.....

I'm learning more about "hunters" every day....and a lot of what I'm learning is ugly.

I'm just starting to look for a tractor, myself.....to really do the things I want to. My food plot got out of hand, this year....because I didn't have the machinery to keep it in check.

If God called down and zapped every "hunter" this year that poached.....trespassed.....
....shot a deer he swore he wouldn't.....etc.... wouldn't it be funny to see who might disappear before our very eyes? I know neighbors and "acquaintences" that would not see October on this earth.