Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wha would you do? Elk scenario. >

Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Pretty slow on the board these days.
This one is just for fun.

Whatever your personal situation/experience/skill/experience level is answer from your perspective.

Day 1 of a 5 day unguided elk hunt in Idaho.
You are glassing a basin across a canyon from your vantage point.
A 6 point bull you guess to be about a 350 bull grazes out into an opening on a heavily timbered lower slope. He is grazing unconcerned and appears he will be there for a few minutes at least.
You lazer the bull (assume you have one) at 450 yards. You have your personal rifle in your hands and a good rest available. Wind is blowing 10 mph down the canyon.
Would you take the shot?
Why or why not?
If not what is your next move?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

I would take the shot. I know that I could shoot and hit him in a good spot. Last years elk season I took a cow at 650+ yards. Five years ago I would have pasted up both shots because I was under gunned and mostly under skilled at that range. I have been shooting my 300 RUM alot in the past two years. I shoot at objects 250-800 yards and now I am able to take a clean kill at those ranges(800 is still to far away for me) I like 250-400 best. I think long and hard about taking these long range shots thats why I pratic alot.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:09 AM

Forgot that 450 yard pin on my Mathews. Close the distance, cow call him to under 20 yards and use my top pin........No problems, Easy shot!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any snow,if there is snow and depending on time and daylight I would watch and see where he enters the timber and plan a stalk in the trees from above him on the ridge.

If there is no snow and it is late in the day I would take the shot assuming I'm shooting my 300 WSM.Cross wind of 10 mph left to right, would lead me to belive my bullet would drift about 15 inches,sighted dead on at 300 would give a bullet drop of around 16-17 inches.If he is walking left to right he would be moving at about 1mph,so I would aim for the top of the back and hold my vertical cross hair on line with the middle rib,take two deep breaths,hold squeeze.This should result in a mildle lung and heart shot about 4 inches up from the bottom of the chest.
That is the perfect senerio,granted if I had the time like I said I would try to close the distance 100 to 150 yds if possible and terrain,or plan a stalk.From down wind and above him,this should be fairly easy if he in not spookish.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

10mph wind huh? well at 450yds even as fast as my 300 is flying you will be looking at about 20inches of drift. Is it possible yeah. But what if the winds was gusty and it died at the time of the shot. Wounded elk.

If the elk appeared to be calm for a few minutes I'd close that distance if possible at least 100yds. Then take the shot just into the lung and let the wind drift the bullet into the boiler room.

If I had a client in tow I hope the elk will still be there while we close the distance to about 200 to 250yds.

I'm plenty confident in long range shooting myself but shooting in the wind in the highcountry is something that is not a for sure drift lead. Having done it often I'd say 450yds if for the well knowledgeable shooter. Wind or no wind.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest with the wind, i think I would try to get closer i am use to doing it in bowhunting it wouldn't scare me if the bull went in the timber because i would try and find him without alearting him. The only thing i would be worried about is other hunters scaring the bull off before i could close the distence. With no wind I would shoot. shooting a bull elk at 500 yards is fun, 250 even better, 100 yards it getts the hair on the back of your neck standing. At 30 yards and under it is undescribleable you have to do it to understand the rush you get from it.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would close the distance. 450 is too long for me. If he is grazing and not in a rush to go anywhere I'm more confident in my stalking skills than I am on that shot. I'd try my hardest to make it an under 300 shot, and preferably 200
Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

No I would not take the shot. My personal maximum rage is 400-yards if all conditions are perfect. I would need to get closer. I would try to cut the distance in half? However I would be comfortable with a 300-yard shot in the conditions you described. I would start looking at my cover and plan a stalk. I would also try to figure out where he is going.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

450 is right at the edge of my personal limit. I feel confident I can make the shot without wind. But 10 MPH is fairly strong and I think 450 would be out of my comfort zone. Why because in a canyon wind is very unpredictable and I don't feel I know exactly where the bullet is going to impact. On the first day of the hunt I put a stalk on the animal and close the distance to a max of 300yds with the wind but I would try get within 100 yds.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

350 being my drop-dead max range, I'd get closer. Elk are stalkable. Read a windage chart and you're going to be surprised at the amount of wind drift you get at that range from a 10 mph wind. I don't know exactly right off hand, but I'll bet it's moving any bullet in the inventory at least 20" at that range.

Quick Reply: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.