Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bedding area, how close is.... >

bedding area, how close is....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bedding area, how close is....

Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default bedding area, how close is....

too close to hang a stand. Another post got methinking about thissoI'd like to hear your opinions. You've founda good size bedding areaand a few travel routes to and from. IYO how close do youthink a stand can be hungwithout ruining it?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bedding area, how close is....

Let me ask you .......

When are we talking about? Why would you want to risk an intrusion early in the season?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

Start at 150 yards away, then move closer as permitted.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my stands are set up on the fringes of bedding areas. Close enough that the old boys may just get up in time or go to bed late enough that I can catch them, yet far enough away that I can sneak in without alerting the deer in the bedding area. I know that isn't very specific, but it varies from place to place based on what I said above. Good luck!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why would you want to risk an intrusion early in the season?
I can think of a few reasons...#1 hunting pressure, if you have a good buck that you are quite sure is residing there and there are other hunters about, then go after him.

a question equally important as 'how close' is 'how early?' to me. If you are hunting that close to beddign areas you better be doing it in the morning...you may want to get in there 2 or even 3 hours before daylight so you are sure you beat the deer.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Timing and having an easy in/out route is crucial. Timing not only meaning time of season, but also time of day. Most of these stands are best hunted early in the morning to early afternoon. You need to be in position VERY early in the morning, while the deer are still feeding else where.

As to how far/near to be youjust have to use good judgement, but I will say that as Jeff eluded to, I would be conservitive in the early season since you can always move closer later on.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

As everyone said, timing is everything, also with me the terrain will have alot to do with how close I set up.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

When are we talking about? Why would you want to risk an intrusion early in the season?
Not talking about early intrusion, it's been found during early scouting and not intruded onsince then.I believe it's used bya # of deer and would like tohave that area in the rotation to hunt throughout the season. I'm thinking too closewill educate them and they'll be gone, which is what I think you are implying also.

Reg: the other replies, I agree and understand that terrain, hunting pressure and ease or difficultyof getting in and out are all have to be taken into account.

I'm thinking that wanting to hunt (maybe I should say "use") it throughout the season is another important factor. Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Why would you want to risk an intrusion early in the season?
you may want to get in there 2 or even 3 hours before daylight so you are sure you beat the deer.
!!!!!!!!!!!I'll find somewhere else to hunt!!!!!!!!!!