Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ag fields close to bedding area >

Ag fields close to bedding area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ag fields close to bedding area

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Ag fields close to bedding area

I've got a great little spot (Brknarrow and I walked it, yesterday) with a secluded bean field just outside the bedding area. I "think" they're using this field to stage in.....just before going to a larger bean field to feed, every night.

My question (having never been able to hunt ag fields) is.....do you think they're hanging out in this small field for very long? I have to think of them as "browsers".....and I don't think they'll hang out in this small field for an extended period......but that they'll move on.

It makes a difference in whether or not I can use this spot as an entry route in the mornings....to catch them coming home from the larger fields.

We watched them feed the other night at Brandon's (NCHunterman) and about 30 deer browsed across a +/- 40 acre field.....and fed on away.

If they do that, here, and don't get back until daylight.....I'll be OK.

I can post up a photo if you think it'll help.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Default RE: Ag fields close to bedding area

I hunt a bean field just like this. We have success in the PM as they come out of the bedding before the nightly rounds. The AM is usually not as hot in the field as they are not usually feeding just moving. But you should hunt it for sure.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

The only difference Pierce.....is I wouldn't be hunting THE field in the mornings. I'd be using it as an access point to slip into a woodlot I know they're using on their return trip, home. I have no intentions on hunting the ag field in the AM. I've got a SWEET tree picked out (OK....props to Frank) for the evening sits, there.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 AM

This article says in what is known as the October Lull, deer still feed in fields just not as predictable, and the best spot is a small food plot in the middle of the woods.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

My season opens 9/13. I plan to be in this spot, opening morning. I've got enough spots in there to play just about any wind.....or, better said.....take my chances on the BEST wind/spot.

Come October.....It'll probably NOT be my best option.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My season opens 9/13. I plan to be in this spot, opening morning. I've got enough spots in there to play just about any wind.....or, better said.....take my chances on the BEST wind/spot.

Come October.....It'll probably NOT be my best option.

Get some scent lok, then you dont worry about wind...
Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Bowtech....no offense....but when you kill a deer....I'll weigh your responses with a little more weight. I'm asking the guys who actually utilize tactics and kill deer.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bowtech....no offense....but when you kill a deer....I'll weigh your responses with a little more weight. I'm asking the guys who actually utilize tactics and kill deer.

Thanks
Does anyone make EGOLOK?????
Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Egolok? Nothing egotistical about it. But if I'm gonna be berated by someone over something they don't use and don't understand.....I'd at LEAST like for them to have "some" (read ANY) expereince when doing so.

Now use your own mantra and either respond to the thread information......or "pass". Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

berated?? hardly. Entertaining, yes.

Also, in the future, please dont use my words (mantra)until you utilize tactics and actually kill a few more deer.

Quick Reply: Ag fields close to bedding area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.