Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To shoot a fawn? >

To shoot a fawn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot a fawn?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To shoot a fawn?

I like 'em just small enough that you can drag 'em out with your haul line.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM

A hunting buddy of mine shot a bb & a fawn with the same bullet 3 or 4 years ago. The fawn laid out in a feild & made the worst noise I have ever heard. We went out & had to put it down. I think that is one of the worst experiances I have had hunting. He has not hunted since.

I think I would not shoot a fawn. But thats just me. There are a lot of good arguments here.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

No fawns for me, dont know why, just wont. A good healthy doe will do just fine. prefered an alone doe with no fawns.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would probably shoot the older deer, but if I couldnt get a shot I would shoot one of the fawns. They just look to delicious to pass up, mmmmm fawn.......
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: robbcayman
Even if the fawn is female she has potential to give birth to other large bucks, so why not let her produce more offspring i.e. shoot her right after this has occured? Now, if they have overpopulated an area then by all means go for it. However, natural selection has been working for a long time without your help. Plus, young fawns have enough pressure from other preadators besides humans.
So, by this logic no one should ever harvest a doe unless there is a severe population control issue because she may give birth to a future monster buck?
No, I didn't say that I am talking about fawns.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Bartender

Well put Jeff
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why would anyone shoot a small fawn is beyond me , I mean why would you waste a kill tag and your time to gut it out , take it home then butcher or pay to have it butchered for only thirty five to forty pounds of meat.
1) I have unlimited tags for does.
2) That doe fawn is capable of reproducing....and I have a population problem
3) I have time to spend an hour processing the meat
4) I feel no reason to be "choosy" over which does I target. Idon't need towaste a chance.
5) Young doe = good eatin.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Bartender

Hoser,

The power that be up in Madison told me CWD hunters didnt kill enough last year in certain parts. Its all for one, one for all kind of thing.
I got Mr. Warnke to admit a few myths about CWD and some current studies about it being in the dirt and we will never eradicate the disease.
http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1094
quote]ORIGINAL: hoseromon

Their back to earn a buck this year again. Didnt they realize last year when they took it away and more deer were shot in the cwd. I am so sick and tired of those **** off dnr they dont make sense. The deer they all want dead and they bring back earn a buck again. Last year I got to shoot a 6 point 3 days into the season because they didnt have earn a buck and in past years me and my buddy have passed on multiple buck some being close to book size because of the earn a buck. They want them all dead yet they bring back the earn a buck again. GRR im sick of this state and dnr. okay done venting. So they got the cwd regulations out can they be found on their website now then?
[/quote]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drop any one of them. You'll be kicking yourself later when you've wasted so much time waiting for a lone, mature doe that may never show up!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Even if the fawn is female she has potential to give birth to other large bucks, so why not let her produce more offspring i.e. shoot her right after this has occured? Now, if they have overpopulated an area then by all means go for it. However, natural selection has been working for a long time without your help. Plus, young fawns have enough pressure from other preadators besides humans.
So, by this logic no one should ever harvest a doe unless there is a severe population control issue because she may give birth to a future monster buck?
No, I didn't say that I am talking about fawns.
As I said before, Worst logic I have ever herd. We shouldn't shoot a fawn because it might give birth to a buck the next year. You say wait till after it gives birth. Hate to break it to you buddy, but that doe is more likely to have fawns the next year than the fawn and more of them. Once again not shooting them them because they might be a buck, because it bothers you, or because you just don't want tois fine. Your logic is just plain back wards.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Mom would be a gonner in that situation with me. Sounds mean, but from a population control standpoint if the fawns don't make it that would actually be a plus. Life in the wild is rough, something else will eat them though. Circle of life and all that crap you know.

I will add that if it was really early in the season and they had spot still I probably would not do it. If they are bit older they will be fine most likely. Until shotgun season anyway[].

Paul

Quick Reply: To shoot a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.