Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To shoot a fawn? >

To shoot a fawn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot a fawn?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Default RE: To shoot a fawn?

If you were to shoot all three you would have a buck sticker for this year, one for next year's archery, and one for next year's gun hunting. The DNR wants the population in your area to be greatly reduced, hence the earn-a-buck. You would be contributing to the containment of CWD. Plus fawn meat is tastey. If you shoot the doe first, the fawns will probably stay there or can be brought back with a doe bleat.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's funny how different states try to regulate the harvest...Down in NC we don't have that type of rule, funny thing is, look at the posts, some hunters would, some wouldn't...If they just let you kill x number of bucks and x number of does the situation would work its way out...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Their back to earn a buck this year again. Didnt they realize last year when they took it away and more deer were shot in the cwd. I am so sick and tired of those **** off dnr they dont make sense. The deer they all want dead and they bring back earn a buck again. Last year I got to shoot a 6 point 3 days into the season because they didnt have earn a buck and in past years me and my buddy have passed on multiple buck some being close to book size because of the earn a buck. They want them all dead yet they bring back the earn a buck again. GRR im sick of this state and dnr. okay done venting. So they got the cwd regulations out can they be found on their website now then?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM

First off I am proud to see people actually calling them fawns! I think it is funny with people shoot a five month old deer and then drum it up by calling it a yearling, I always chuckle when I see that, so for that I am proud to see! As for would I shoot a fawn, I have not done it in a while. I shot one a few years ago out of not having a bunch of action, I hadlost my old hunting spot and the new one was not learned yet and I had been with out a deer for two seasons so it was bad luck on the little girls part! That yearling was the best tasting meat I have ever put on the plate, and the only deer that my wife actually enjoyed and did not snub her nose at. I have been thinking about shooting one several times since then, just have not done it yet, but now that I can kill four deer this year I may just do it. Now if it had spots on it I may have a change of heart, but no spots and it will be game! Also, during the rut most does run there fawns off so they can survive just fine on there own.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Plus, in my eyes you are ruining the herd taking out young fawns that could one day become big bucks.
For the 10th time already in this thread, you can tell the difference between a BB and a doe fawn. Secondly, there is nothing more natural than for the young and the old to be killed. Shooting deer in their prime, that is what is truly unnatural.
Even if the fawn is female she has potential to give birth to other large bucks, so why not let her produce more offspring i.e. shoot her right after this has occured? Now, if they have overpopulated an area then by all means go for it. However, natural selection has been working for a long time without your help. Plus, young fawns have enough pressure from other preadators besides humans.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plus, young fawns have enough pressure from other preadators besides humans.
The only other predators around here (MD)besides humans are cars.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Even if the fawn is female she has potential to give birth to other large bucks, so why not let her produce more offspring i.e. shoot her right after this has occured? Now, if they have overpopulated an area then by all means go for it. However, natural selection has been working for a long time without your help. Plus, young fawns have enough pressure from other preadators besides humans.
Why even hunt? Mother nature can take care of itself. Why shoot a fawn? It might get pregnant. Why shoot a doe? It might get pregnant. Why shoot bucks? They have enough pressure from cars and wolves and each other.

That is the worst logic I have ever herd. Did you even read what you wrote? I can understand not wanting to shoot a nub by accident or just not having the heart to shoot a fawn, but come on.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

Why even hunt? Mother nature can take care of itself. Why shoot a fawn? It might get pregnant. Why shoot a doe? It might get pregnant. Why shoot bucks? They have enough pressure from cars and wolves and each other.

That is the worst logic I have ever herd. Did you even read what you wrote? I can understand not wanting to shoot a nub by accident or just not having the heart to shoot a fawn, but come on.
I didn't say that we should end hunting, you went down that road all by yourself. I believe we are part of a heirachy of dominant species whose job is to harvert animals. With that said, I don't shoot fawns since they are the future of the herd. Trust me with cars, wolves, mountain lions etc.. fawns do face more pressure than their wiser adults, would you argue that they don't??

Just to prove my point follow the link (from my home state Oklahoma) and wildlife experts agree to leave the fawns alone since they face outside pressures. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/deerinfo.htm (you must copy and paste the link for some weird reason.

Now, is that the worst logic you have ever heard?? Of course these wildlife experts couldn't possibly know as much as you.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

No, not to get it over with, but I would shoot one for the most tender wild game meat you can find. I like veal and I like fawn. Call me whatever, but I just like it. I do ensure that it is not a button buck though.

I won't shoot a doe that I know is 3.5 or older. If I am shooting a doe it is strictly for the meat so I go with the younger, more tender variety.
AMEN!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, by this logic no one should ever harvest a doe unless there is a severe population control issue because she may give birth to a future monster buck?

Quick Reply: To shoot a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.