Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To shoot a fawn? >

To shoot a fawn?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot a fawn?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 AM

Default RE: To shoot a fawn?

I personally wouldnt do it. But like others have said i dont have to earn my buck tag. Although fawn meat is tender. One was hit a few years back infront of my house late at night, I ran out got it and butchered it. Best tasting meat I have ever had.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM

Dr. James C. Kroll has been covering a lot of issues lately dealing with the harvesting of does, in North American Whitetail, and ive seen a few more articles by another biologist i cant think of at the moment. but anyway...
~ feel no guilt about shooting a doe with fawns... because the fawns will make it.
~also people dont shoot does that have buck fawns... bad idea because the mother will kick out the buck fawns to a new area, but if she is shot the chances of having the bucks stay in the area is much greater.
~Does of every age class should be taken, not just the old loner does, not just yearlings, but everywhere in between as well.
~He also stated that in most cases, there are not many lone, barren does. I believe the age of the one they recorded was 15 or something like that.
.... My two cents worth.... shoot what your happy with, but if i see a doe come by she's done. All a doe fawn is to me is a big old smart doe without the experience, so if i have the chance ill take her before she has the opportunity to get smart and ruin some of my hunts
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Why would anyone shoot a small fawn is beyond me , I mean why would you waste a kill tag and your time to gut it out , take it home then butcher or pay to have it butchered for only thirty five to forty pounds of meat.
For the same reason you pay more for Kobe beef my friend... it tastes that much better. I butcher it for myself so it doesn't cost me any extra, and honestly, the fawns here are about as big as the mature does in the south.

Motown, you can tell a fawn doe from a fawn buck as long as they are close enough to see if there are nubs. Don't shoot the ones with nubs.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Why would anyone shoot a small fawn is beyond me , I mean why would you waste a kill tag and your time to gut it out , take it home then butcher or pay to have it butchered for only thirty five to forty pounds of meat.
1) I have unlimited tags for does.
2) That doe fawn is capable of reproducing....and I have a population problem
3) I have time to spend an hour processing the meat
4) I feel no reason to be "choosy" over which does I target. Idon't need towaste a chance.
5) Young doe = good eatin.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Plus if your getting30-40 pounds of meatthats a BIG fawn!!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldnt whack the fawn id wait for the doe with the fawn and then whack her
Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

No, I would not shoot a fawn or a doe with fawns. I would shoot a lone doe. The same holds true for bear. A cub no, a sow with cubs no. That is my vote.

Reid
I'm with you on this one. It would bother me (call me soft) to know that those fawns are out there without a mom and scared. I would never shoot a fawn, that is like shooting a puppy in my book and I would feel terrible. Plus, in my eyes you are ruining the herd taking out young fawns that could one day become big bucks. Now, if it is a doe all by herself then I would have no problem with that.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot all three, But I am in an intensive harvest area
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

In areas I hunt that are special regs and they want all the deer shot, a fat doe fawn is in peril. Of course I will shoot the mom 1st if given the chance, but sometimes the youngins come by alone. And yes I check with my binos that she's a she and not a BB. I will say they butcher up fast and are very tender.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Plus, in my eyes you are ruining the herd taking out young fawns that could one day become big bucks.
For the 10th time already in this thread, you can tell the difference between a BB and a doe fawn. Secondly, there is nothing more natural than for the young and the old to be killed. Shooting deer in their prime, that is what is truly unnatural.

Quick Reply: To shoot a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.