Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

You lost $20. The only thing I ever had was my word, and I don't take it lightly. If I tell someone something, bank on it. Now if he asked me not to eat his HO HO's, I can't guarantee that.....
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

You lost $20. The only thing I ever had was my word, and I don't take it lightly. If I tell someone something, bank on it. Now if he asked me not to eat his HO HO's, I can't guarantee that.....
And when the Jorden buck walks by you............................[>:]
Twenty what????????????????

I have to run my dog nowbut I'll be back..........
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm back...............[8D]
Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't matter. My word is my word. If it were the Jordan buck but piebald, still would walk. You can say what you will, but I honor my word more than any deer. I have a pond that we catch 10# bass up to 27" long, I let a few friends fish it but they know that that ALL bass go back. I have had friends say "what if it's over 10#?" it goes back, those that say "If I catch one over 10, I'm keeping it" get the "Don't bother fishing then". I work hard on my pond, working way more than I fish it, but I know on most days I can catch a 6-10lber. I don't want anyone to take that away from me or my kids. I think 3 people have fished it this year.

A sample.....

Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 110% with Nctaxi on his response, I debated whether responding to this at all anymore but it burns my chaps to see the viewpoint hunting and what it is materializing into nowdays. I grew hunting in Fla and any deer was a great deer, now there is the neverending fascination with horns, antlers, headgear whatever you prefer. I am relatively new to the site but how will young people percieve this - if I can't shoot a buck it ain't worth my time - is the messgae I have heard. What happened to the experience, meeting new people, Respect, and being honest. I get just as fired up on a doe as a 10pointer and I have taken both - I live for the experience and the atmosphere - now people dont wanna hunt if they can't take a buck - I must still be in the Fla woods waiting on a plump doe with my heart coming outta my chest but to me bowhunting is the best thing in the world . SORRY gota little off topic Excellent post taxi and nice to see a few still believe in a man's word
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Nobody answered this question.

What is different in this scenario?

Tell me what the difference is in this scenario:

You get invited to a big time lease or outfitter to take a management buck. 8 points or less......3.5 yrs or more.

Are you gonna look that outfitter in the eyes and tell hm you'll shoot the 150" 2.5 yr old if you "want to"?

His lease/ranch. He can (obviously) shoot whatever he wants....but he has a need to cull a certain "class" buck.
nctaxi......I will abide by your fishing rules!......and I live close! Heck....if Mitch can fish.....I'll just WATCH! You can even blindfold us going in.....lol.

I may ask you to come up and shoot a doe or two if you find yourself with the time and the inclination. Yep. I help drag and butcher.....meat's all yours.....and the appreciation is all mine. Deal for you.....If Mitch shoots a deer with his bow, this year,....I'll give you that business. I've already told himwe'll taxi his first.

Good to hear from you, pal. I still look at the piebald hide you tanned for me with fond memories.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Tell me what the difference is in this scenario:

You get invited to a big time lease or outfitter to take a management buck. 8 points or less......3.5 yrs or more.

Are you gonna look that outfitter in the eyes and tell hm you'll shoot the 150" 2.5 yr old if you "want to"?

His lease/ranch. He can (obviously) shoot whatever he wants....but he has a need to cull a certain "class" buck.
Hunting means so much more to me thanthe social adventure many are making it out to be.
I have no reason to hunt some where that others would set limitations on what I am hunting. Here in PA we get one buck tag and one or more doe tags. The P.G.C. has set 4 points to a side limit in my area ,and a plan to reduce deer numbers with outlandish doe allocations.
These are the only rules I must follow. And no ones personal goals or agendas will interfere with my hunting. I would not hunt where there were limits on my the joys I get from hunting.
Of course I care enough about my hunting to have purchased enough land for me and my family & Friendsto hunt on withoutsome one Else's ideas or agendas in the back of our minds.

Hunting is supposed to be fun , and for us it is.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

You mistakenly (apparently) suppose that hunting isn't fun for us that are trying to manage a herd. I'd profess otherwise. This year will be challenging and fun in its own way. I see what this land and this herd CAN be. I've said it before.....the journey, to me, is a huge part of the destination.

I hope you're having as much fun as I am.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You mistakenly (apparently) suppose that hunting isn't fun for us that are trying to manage a herd. I'd profess otherwise. This year will be challenging and fun in its own way. I see what this land and this herd CAN be. I've said it before.....the journey, to me, is a huge part of the destination.

I hope you're having as much fun as I am.
Thats how I see it too Jeff.

I'll take BwanaJim's example here:

If the Jordan buck walks by, who cares! Its just a deer. I don't hunt to flex my ego muscles, nor do any of my true friends and hunting buddies. I have let more than my share of 125"-140" bucks walk, and even had to watch a deer that would have gone near 180" go under my tree. In SC, that would have put it in the top 25 deer ever taken in the state, nevermind with archery equipment.

But....

If I would have shot that deer, assuming I would have gotten to keep the horns anyway (and I know my reputation would have gone in the can), all I would think about every single time I looked at that head on the wall would be the deceitful way I came by it. I would really be ashamed of myself.

As it is, I was really happy to be that close to such a great buck. Call it catch and release hunting. Its one of my more fond hunting memories anyway.

To each his own.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would respond that what you are trying to do is a Nobel under taking but your struggle with power control gives it away.

Or maybe the bucks in your area don't like to eat your farmer Friends beans. I see no reason for you to place limits on what others shoot on land that you presently don't own.

Every doe taken helps you get closer to your goals and every buck reduces the herd by one more. If you hunt with hunters that have the same mindset as you no one needs to set rules. Just go out and enjoy a day in the woods. Shoot what you want to and let others do the same.

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.