Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Jeff I don't think your asking too much at all, on the contrary, it's a generous offer when someone opens their land to others even if it's for doe. You have a doe issue, not a buck issue and the help you asked for was for doe only. If someone cannot abide by that, they are the selfish ones, not you. You have a mission and an objective, having everyone pass does in hopes of a buck is not helping you in the least. I cannot wait to help you out in that respect.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally wouldn't invite someone to my place and tell them that they couldn't shoot a buck that I would shoot. I wouldn't feel right about doing that. If I didn't want them to shoota buck,then I wouldn't invite them at all.

I may invite someone with the purpose of shooting does and will place them accordingly on the property, but if a "shooter" buck by my definition comes by and they have a tag for him,feel free to take a poke at him.

Again, this would only apply to my family property or another place I was paying for exclusive rights to.

Just MHO.
Matt:

I think that's awfully generous of you. In fact...it's more generous than I am....but I'v emade no bones about what I will and will not allow my guests to take. if you know the rules going in.......why not abide by them happily or happily decline. No problems.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity.....that I would absolutely shoot ONLY does if someone asked me to.....and I'd give them snapshots of the bucks on the property I saw for their scouting purposes.

No problem, whatsoever.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM

I definately think that what you asked was fair. You invited them on a doe hunt and they pretty much said "if I come I'll shoot what I want." If I were you the invatation would be closed.

On the other hand if this is during the regular archery season and they have not harvested a buck, it might be difficult to get someone to come to hunt does, when they can go some where else and possibly see as many does and still have an opportunity at a buck. I personaly would decline your offer as I enjoy hunting does, but like knowing that If a trouphy went by that I could shoot it. Maybe you could invite someone that has filled their buck tag.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I've got a son and two friends that will hunt the land with me.....but I mentioned the possibility of coming into my woods with some others....to take the burden of killing so many does off of myself (My son has yet to take his first deer with the bow).

My friends Mark...and Rob....can shoot ANYTHING THEY WANT. I trust them...and they know what I'm trying to do.

Ditto my son.....anything he wants.

Looks like it'll be just us 4.
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rick, but it is your playground so they deff. should follow your rules.
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

if you know the rules going in.......why not abide by them happily or happily decline. No problems.
Exactly.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called integrity.You made a generous invitation and explained the terms.It is really a yes or no thank you response.If they were to say no thank you because they didn't feel they had the restraint not to shoot a buck then fine.
Your land,or your access,or your scouting and effort,your rules.That is not selfish.Someones friendship and trust is worth a lot more than a deer!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt:

I think that's awfully generous of you. In fact...it's more generous than I am....but I'v emade no bones about what I will and will not allow my guests to take. if you know the rules going in.......why not abide by them happily or happily decline. No problems.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity.....that I would absolutely shoot ONLY does if someone asked me to.....and I'd give them snapshots of the bucks on the property I saw for their scouting purposes.

No problem, whatsoever.
And I also see your point of view as well. If you were to invite me to shoot does and let me know up front that all bucks were off limits I wouldn't be offended. If I can get Rob upto my placewhen he still has a buck tagleft (unlikely [8D]), I hope he shoots a slammer.

I guess the reason I have this view point is because many times I have been fortunate enough to shoot the biggest buck off of others property in years past, and I really appreciated the opportunity to do so. I have only had exclusive access to any single piece of property for about 5 years now and before that my hunting was all done on patches people were nice enough to let me on.

I am probably a bit more particular than you as well about handing out invitations...................which could be selfish from others perspective as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

You've told them its a doe only hunt.......thats fair, especially since you, your son, and two friends will be hunting there regularly.

One last thought, I've learned over the years to be extra cautious to whom I ask to hunt with me. A friend of mine who I introduced to bowhunting went with me a few times last season, but never once has he asked me to tag along with him on properties he can hunt, though I did help him trail the first deer he shot.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I am probably a bit more particular than you as well about handing out invitations...................which could be selfish from others perspective as well.
I now would call you something else......wise.

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.