Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

hillbilly.....you know you chose the latter of the examples because it fit your point, better. Here it is, again...ONLY amended by removing "outfitter". What's your answer, now? I'm interested.

--------------------------------------------

Tell me what the difference is in this scenario:

You get invited to a big time leaseto take a management buck (QDM managed lease). 8 points or less......3.5 yrs or more.

Are you gonna look thatlease directorin the eyes and tell him you'll shoot the 150" 2.5 yr old if you "want to"?

His lease. He can (obviously) shoot whatever he wants....but he has a need to cull a certain "class" buck.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bernie I'm all with you on this, I have all my land posted ,and the only ones that hunt it are those who I say can ,(I guess I'm selfish) but anyone that I allow to hunt is as free as I am to shoot any legal deer they can.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

...anyone that I allow to hunt is as free as I am to shoot any legal deer they can.
Until they shoot the big boy you've been chasing all season. Right? (and believe me, I've got that line about the red headed adopted kid with a mouthfull of hoho's already copied and ready to paste. [8D])

Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

...anyone that I allow to hunt is as free as I am to shoot any legal deer they can.
Until they shoot the big boy you've been chasing all season. Right? (and believe me, I've got that line about the red headed adopted kid with a mouthfull of hoho's already copied and ready to paste. [8D])
Unlike some areas our terrain is so varied and thick it is very hard to pin point any particular deer the big one is out there and he is free game to all.
My Friends 14 year old daughter shot a tall nine point a few years back that has humbled all I have ever seen or shot.It just raised the bar a little for me thats all.
To Not be out done by a child is not a bad goal ,but out done by a girl...........I'm smelling Ho....Ho's.........
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

hillbilly.....you know you chose the latter of the examples because it fit your point, better.
Seriously, I'm not sure what you're talking about. there was only one scenario that you asked "why hasn't anyone responded to this". I didn't see a choice.
Seems to me that you're the one that keeps adjusting the scenario. ???

Here it is, again...ONLY amended by removing "outfitter". What's your answer, now? I'm interested.

--------------------------------------------

Tell me what the difference is in this scenario:

You get invited to a big time leaseto take a management buck (QDM managed lease). 8 points or less......3.5 yrs or more.

Are you gonna look thatlease directorin the eyes and tell him you'll shoot the 150" 2.5 yr old if you "want to"?

His lease. He can (obviously) shoot whatever he wants....but he has a need to cull a certain "class" buck.
Ok. For the sake of coherence, in my response, "You" are the "lease director" and "I" am the potential guest.

If you and I are friends and you have sole autonomy over the lease (in this hypothetical), with no responsibilities to anyone else, then, imo,there isno difference, and I'd feel that you were just as selfish asking me to restrict myself if you intended, or evenpossibly intended, to shoot something other than a "management buck" yourselfthis year.

Now, If you and I are friends, but you have others involved in the lease, that you are responsible to, with regulations or even gentlemen's agreements not to let others shoot "big bucks", and your "hands are tied", so to speak, then there is a big difference (although a real friend would let you kill something big and help you sneak it out--it's a JOKE!!!). The choice would not be yours to make and you could offer only what you could offer.

Thirdly, whether or not you had sole autonomy, if I was just some guy who's services you wished to engage at removing "management bucks", doe(s), prairie dogs, or chipmunks, then you have absolute right and still retain the utmost integrity, IMHO,to restrict me to whatever you wish.

However, I assume that a formal engagement of relatively unknown,or "casually known", individual(s) may be needed on a "big time lease" from time to time for culling purposes, etc. In contrast to a more intimate and informal setting which you have, where you have the opportunity to be gracious always, as long as you're not taken advantage of, and anyone who'd be so lucky as to receive an invitation from you would also, I hope, be initially given the"benefit of the doubt" or, if not, perhaps you are too frivolous with your invitations.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

perhaps you are too frivolous with your invitations.
Perhaps I was. Point taken.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

A FRIEND would understand what you are trying to accomplish; would understand that you want to reserve the good bucks for yourself and your family; and he would be grateful enough for the invitation that he would respect your wishes. I would HOPE that any bowhunter would do the same, out of sheer gratitude for the opportunity even if he's totally lacking any sense of personal honor and integrity.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

I don't see the point in inviting anyone to hunt my spot that I didn't like well enough that I would be exstatic for them to take a tropthy if the oppurtinity presented itself. One of my best friends has his own spot which has alot of big bucks. He is continuisly scouting and setting upstands so his friends canhave an oppurtinity to harvest a nice deer. He would never consider saying save the big one for me.He is just happy that their are people who enjoy hunting as much as he does.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps I was. Point taken.
No big deal. As you and I both agreed, these types of debates/discussions can be fun and occasionally, perhaps, slightly enlightening.
Although in reality, it's almost always the case that thesesituations can only be assessed objectively as hypotheticals with the given information, as opposed to really assessing the actual "scenario" itself, because there may have been some pertinent piece of informationthat was left out or misinterpreted, or impossible to convey without actually being there.Who knows?

Take care and good luck this year.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Well, when I shot and missed at a 150" 12 pointer....that never spooked (confident I didn't push him out of the area), I told my buddy who hunted on the bordering property, about what happened. Keep in mind, I was right on the border of our two properties, probably more on his side. But I did have permission,but he didn't on mine side (yeah he got the shaft but thats what happens when you've hunted an area six years longer than someone). Well the next afternoon he hunted and I didn't....can you guess where he was...10 yards from where I was, on his side. Can you guess where he was for the remainder of the year, and where he's been the last two seasons??? It's a spot that contuniously produces deer year after year. Yes, he's like a brother to me and we always share information on what we see and find as far as sign goes. But from now on I'm not so sure I'm going to...is that selfish?

It just bothered me he'd just hunt there without telling me until afterwards. To me it's a mutual respect that friends understand that each has their "spots". I found the spot where I was from scouting...not him. He could have easily scouted the property to find out where the buck might have come from or been going to, and hunted there. But to sit in the same spot left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm just a little cautious now bout what I say.

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.