Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this how YOU feel about hunting? >

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
8.04%
No
91.96%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

No antlers may affect the businesses that rely on antlers but I do not think it would affect hunters nearly as much. Do hunters hunt antlers or do they hunt the animal that has them? If they hunt the animal then the antlers become a moot issue. I think most deer hunters hunt the animal. Are there antler hunters? You bet! I just think that the vast majority of deer hunters hunt the animal and not its rack. If you take away the antlers you still have the animal and you still have, IMO, the vast majority of hunters hunting that animal. Would it be as popular? Nope. No tv shows about deer hunting, no "pro" whitetail hunters. Not as much equipment "guaranteed to get you close to the trophy of a lifetime". No, not as popular as it may be now but you still have most of the deer (not antler) hunters that you have now. You may lose guys that measure their manhood by the antler, but not guys that measure their skill by the animal.

[][:@]I messed up on the poll question. It should be a NO.
Bruce, If I measure my manhood by what I Kill, then I guess I would measure yours the same way, Because if you came by the house with a 6.5 year old doe, I being a Hunter of the Whitetail Deer would recognize it as a true trophy, But I can tell you this, I would Be alot more excited for you if it was a 6.5 year old buck with 170" of Bone on its head, thats just the way it is!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

germ, i tried to answer your PM...feel free to post what you feel suited..sorry i got long winded...you know me...you asked for it

funny you mention my inner circle. the group i rifle and flintlock hunt with actually tease me about taking does. "whooopdeee dooo! you killed an overgrown rabbit!!" they would say...only 1 bowhunts..like the rest of them he really dont know all too much about deer hunting, other than driving them. occassionally he sees deer...but its by luck and chance rather than good scouting etc...they are a different type of hunter..id say they are more like the typical PA hunter than myself. alot arent seriously like me...alot dont know a whole lot about deer and deer hunting..alot hunt just for the commrodity and things like that...which is why i enjoy hunting with them once in a while..dont know what the numbers would look like...it would be interesting to find out...id love to do a poll on a huntingpa forum...but like here...the board junkies are all rather serious hunters and wouldnt care if deer had antlers or not..

im starting to change...for many reasons i wont go into detail about here...but to sum it up...antlers arent important or WHY i hunt. if i had the numbers in the areas i hunt most of the time id gladly kill me some overgrown rabbits!! hopefully i can kill me 1 or 2 this season with the bow...want to get that archery cherry officially popped! got 2 areas in mind that should be promising in terms of numbers...
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

Antlers are a bonus
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have spent countless hours in full camo and 95 degree temps just to shoot a ground squirrel with my recurve from 10 yards. I think hunting is what you make it and the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. For me it wouldnt matter one way or the other I live for the hunt, all the ups and downs that are associated with it.

Rogue

Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot way more does in proportion to bucks. So yes they are still worth hunting. I have opportunities to "hunt" places on crop damage permits but never have taken them because I like to truly hunt for my deer, notjust eradicate them.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd have to find a way to hunt that would be comparable to killing a mature buck. Maybe kill a doe with my bare hands?[8D][:-] Hunt with a spear. Something along those lines.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

No antlers may affect the businesses that rely on antlers but I do not think it would affect hunters nearly as much. Do hunters hunt antlers or do they hunt the animal that has them? If they hunt the animal then the antlers become a moot issue. I think most deer hunters hunt the animal. Are there antler hunters? You bet! I just think that the vast majority of deer hunters hunt the animal and not its rack. If you take away the antlers you still have the animal and you still have, IMO, the vast majority of hunters hunting that animal. Would it be as popular? Nope. No tv shows about deer hunting, no "pro" whitetail hunters. Not as much equipment "guaranteed to get you close to the trophy of a lifetime". No, not as popular as it may be now but you still have most of the deer (not antler) hunters that you have now. You may lose guys that measure their manhood by the antler, but not guys that measure their skill by the animal.

Bruce, If I measure my manhood by what I Kill, then I guess I would measure yours the same way, Because if you came by the house with a 6.5 year old doe, I being a Hunter of the Whitetail Deer would recognize it as a true trophy, But I can tell you this, I would Be alot more excited for you if it was a 6.5 year old buck with 170" of Bone on its head, thats just the way it is!
And that is part of the problem... too many folks care too much about how someone else measures their manhood. How you measure my manhood is not my worry. How I measure myself is what I "worry" about.

Good hunting this fall and if you get down my way on your visit to MD, look me up.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

And that is part of the problem... too many folks care too much about how someone else measures their manhood. How you measure my manhood is not my worry. How I measure myself is what I "worry" about.

Good hunting this fall and if you get down my way on your visit to MD, look me up.
Well heck Bruce, that is exactly the point I was trying to make, You are the one that said measure their manhood by the antler size, Not Me! I think were on the same sheet of music, you just used a poor choice of words explaning it the first time

If we get the time, Ill do that. And good luck also.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an avid duck and goose hunter! I have killed thousands of birds and consider myself one of the best. They say that 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the game, I'm in that 10%. THE ONLY REASONI HUNT WATERFOWL IS TO FIND A 10 POINT GOOSE!!!!!! I know he's out there and I'm not gonna stop until I find him!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this how you feel about hunting?

We dont have alot of big bucks where i hunt at, so i dont worry alot about horns or atlers or what ever those things on there head is called. I hunt for the peace and quiet and for theadrenaline rush and also to hear my hounds runand forthat tasty venison. Plus at Fort Pickett they tag all the does for you. you can kill as many as you want wit the bow and never have to buy bonus tags.I cant wait till huntn season

Quick Reply: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.