HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is this how YOU feel about hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/200591-how-you-feel-about-hunting.html)

atlasman 08-04-2007 12:08 PM

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Without antlers deer would not be worth hunting.

They would merely be a nuisance animal that should be wiped out.

buckmaster 08-04-2007 12:14 PM

RE: Is this how you feel about hunting?

Hunting is about gettin out there and enjoying what God has created, good food on the table and yes Horns is an added bonus and real excitement booster but not what its all about.

Bloodsaw 08-04-2007 12:16 PM

i would say 50 % or more of deer hunters wouldnt deer hunt if they didnt have antlers, that being said i enjoy shooting does :)

Arrowmaster 08-04-2007 12:19 PM

That would have no bearing on whether I hunt or not.

Redneck Bowhunter 08-04-2007 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

Hunting is about gettin out there and enjoying what God has created, good food on the table and yes Horns is an added bonus and real excitement booster but not what its all about.
They are not HORNS, they are ANTLERS! It really bothers me that people mistake the two on here. Ok, Im done venting.

nchawkeye 08-04-2007 12:24 PM

RE: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Not at all how I feel, I kill 5-6 does to every buck and was a serious squirrel hunter until I was about 18 or so, still enjoy a morning in the woods with a .22 hunting squirrrels...I do feel an obligation to shoot does, as we farm about 850 acres in eastern NC...I also eat venison, never did understand those who hunt that don't....

Arthur P 08-04-2007 12:30 PM

You didn't list my answer.... None of your #@&! business! [8D]

buckmaster 08-04-2007 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

They are not HORNS, they are ANTLERS! It really bothers me that people mistake the two on here. Ok, Im done venting.

Forgive me!! Ill never make that mistake again!

horns-One of the hard, usually permanent structures projecting from the head of certain mammals, such as cattle, sheep, goats, or antelopes, consisting of a bony core covered with a sheath of keratinous material.

Antlers-One of a pair of hornlike, bony, deciduous growths, usually elongated and branched, on the head of a deer, moose, elk, caribou, or other member of the deer family.

MOTOWNHONKEY 08-04-2007 12:34 PM

I would tag out the first day. Any Tom, Dick, and Atlas can kill a doe. Adoe and a spiker offer no challenge to me what so ever. If the racks are gone my deer hunting pleasure would go by the way side. I would get my meat day 1 and go home. It would suck. It's all about the rack for me. I can't wait to pound my chest this year if I am blessed to get one.

Redneck Bowhunter 08-04-2007 12:38 PM

It says that they are Hornlike because they are are both made of bone. The differance is that Horns are covered and do not fall off then regrow(I thinkyou may have to check that one). The key word you have to look at for antlersare branched. That is why they differ, and why deer have Antlers.

It's okay, im not mad it is just kinda like a pet peeve.

Anyway, I would not stop hunting if they had no antlers. I have as much fun shooting does as I do bucks, and score does not matter to me much.