Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this how YOU feel about hunting? >

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
8.04%
No
91.96%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this how you feel about hunting?

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

It says that they are Hornlike because they are are both made of bone. The differance is that Horns are covered and do not fall off then regrow(I thinkyou may have to check that one). The key word you have to look at for antlersare branched. That is why they differ, and why deer have Antlers.

It's okay, im not mad it is just kinda like a pet peeve.

Anyway, I would not stop hunting if they had no antlers. I have as much fun shooting does as I do bucks, and score does not matter to me much.
I stand Corrected...
Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

That is nothow i feel about deer hunting. Ill admit that antlersmean alot and i definitely want to shoot a buck with a trophy set every fall BUT without antlers id still hunt them the same. I hunt many other game animals that have no trophy identifiers such as ducks, quail, and doves.

We often forget that hunting is also about outsmarting the game your after, friendships, the outdoors, and relaxing.the antlers are just a big bonus
Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If deer didnt have antlers and never did, we wouldnt know any different. I'd hunt them just like I do today. I hunt bears, they dont have antlers, Iabsolutely lovehunting bear... turkeys dont have antlers Iget amp'dwhen talking to aturkey and killing them... I've probably killed more cow elk in my lifetime than most, they dont have antlers yet I am as happy as any kill when I get a cow on the ground knowing my feezer is full and my family will eat some of the plants best protien available.

I docherish hunting old bucks, and yesmost that reach old age herehavenice antlers,(if old bucks were easy to kill there wouldnt be any here and I wouldnt be hunting them)I also really enjoy hunting a "rarity". But if they didnt grow antlers and I didntknow any different it would be no different than hunting an old bear.. Hes smart 'cause he's done so well to make it so long..Hunting period never feels like work to me. Never has never will.I feel sorry for those that feel like it's work...I can hike ten hours a day, hang tree stands all day what ever..its fun..I dont care if I get dirty, tired exhausted..etc..that feels good to, feels like I accomplished something..guess thats the logging background in my blood. Chit I was the guy that used to love football practice.. yes practice was always a blast to me, I never dreaded it..

I dont know maybe I look at it differently than most...to me hunting, it's such ahealthy acitivity, invigorating year around exercise that is as exciting and enjoyeableasanything I have ever taken part in....even if I dont kill something, for meitbeats the heck out of summer softball, water skining, snow skiing, golf....you name it.. nothing compares..pretty much anything man made for me...gets old.. hunting never does..
Old 08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

If deer had no antlers it would make no difference for me. It doesnt matter if its a doe or fawn or buck it all is just as exciting and challangeing. I hunting everything I can get the chance to and I have just as much fun hunting morning doves as I do going after deer. Its being in the outdoors and the experience along with the challage and adrenaline rush.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Do antlers change the flavor of backstrap?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just love to hunt, and a deer is a deer to me. Antlers are neat, but they aren't even on the radar screen when considering the reasons why I hunt. We've had antler restrictions in PA for several years, and I hate them. In the S.C. / S.E. part of the state, there are alot of hunters and thebucks are no bigger than they ever were. It irks me when a buck walks into view, (and especially within range), and I have to scrutinize every point to be sure it meets the minimum legal size. On a fewoccassions, I've had six and seven pointers literally 5 yds from me, and instead of shooting a deer that I would be thrilled with, I was left staring through binoculars at their antlers to judge whether their brow tines met the 1" minimum requirement while they walked out of site. Thanks God there's not a minimum weight requirement on does or a minimum tail length on squirrels, or I'd have nothing to hunt!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

It says that they are Hornlike because they are are both made of bone. The differance is that Horns are covered and do not fall off then regrow(I thinkyou may have to check that one). The key word you have to look at for antlersare branched. That is why they differ, and why deer have Antlers.

It's okay, im not mad it is just kinda like a pet peeve.
So what do you call the black things that stick up on buck antelope? After all they shed, just the outer core, BUT they do shed annually and certainly aren't solid bone like anlter?

I get crancked up when calling coyotes and hunt them more than deer annually for sure. None of them have antlers, at least none of them so far. And turkey, and upland birds, and cow elk, moose, bear! If you'd quit hunting deer because they lack antler on their head, you're missing out on a lot of hunting!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM

the only thing worse than weight requirements on does would be skull measurements. Must be .... inches wide or its illegal. That would be tough to judge.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM

If deer didn't have headgear would a new breed of deer nazis crop up to force their standards on the unenlightened rest of us?
I move to make neck circumference the new criteria for trophy status. One arbitrary characteristic or another will have to fill the role.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would still deer hunt if there were no bucks. A big old mature doe is as much of a challenge to me as a big old buck. Besides, a doe is much easier on the bank account. When you shoot a nice one, you don't have to decide weather to get it mounted or not And the roast from a doe tastes the same as a roast from a buck.

Quick Reply: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.