Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this how YOU feel about hunting? >

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
8.04%
No
91.96%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Is this how you feel about hunting?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The guy shooting the buck would say "you can't eat the horns, I just wanted some meat". But the doe was bigger, comes the retort. "Yea, But this one was a buck"
That scenerio sounds a little far fetched. I can't imagine the vast majority of guys you know continually have a small spike standing next to a fat doe and they shoot the spike only to justify it by saying they wanted meat?? I don't know how common that could be.

See what's gotten lost in here, is that I really don't care about the guy who wants to shoot a buck cause he is truly happy with anything, I'm happy for him too. But what REALLY ticks me off(and you may not think there are that many out there like it, but there are around here) is the loud mouth, chest thumpin, measure of a man"I got my buck" crowd. These guys want a deer around every tree so they can stroll into the woods hungover at 9 am and still have a chance at getting a buck. They wouldn't shoot a doe if they were starving, cause that's not 'manly'. They take no real enjoyment in the prize they have taken other than to gain the illusion that they are 'cool' when they are back at the bar or hanging out with buddies/coworkers. Those are the ones that bug me.
Personally I couldn't care less what someone else chooses to do with their tag. Sounds like you have more of a problem with them as a person then you do with what they shoot............and the fact that these guys whom you despise personally are the ones shooting the bucks you don't want shot stings even worse. I guess I understand your feelings but if you don't care if one guy shoots a small one how can you care if another guy does the same??

There is one other "group" that I have no issues with other than I just don't understand them for the life of me. That's the guys who have become quite proficient hunters, yet still just whack the 1st little buck by. Yes they may still be happy with it, and that's cool, I just don't understand how the 17th forkhorn is just as fun as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? I know I'm not alone in this thinking as there are alot of others who 'step up' and don't bother to shoot little bucks cause they get no enjoyment from it.
What is the magic number for enjoyment??? the 17th 10 pt.........12pt...........150"..........170". If the same logic does not apply please explain why.

I just know that since I've stopped shooting the 1stbuck to comeby, my hunting has become even more fun than it was. I'm out longer, I get to do what I love to do longer, and I put myself in a position to shoot a nice buck each year. If it makes you guys truly happy, then fine, I was there too at one time, but I can't comprehend still being there.
Like I said before............in 20 years I have NEVER looked at a buck after filling my tag that I wished I had waited for. NEVER. So why wait?? The 5th one looks a lot like the 1st..........does it really make you feel better if I wait and kill the 8th one I see instead of the 1st?? I know what's out there and I kill what's out there. No complaints here.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

It's all a charade Plus it is not fairchase. They are tied to the ground.
I took that bad boy traditional..........bare hands........I don't need all the fancy gadgets and toys with lasers on them. I'm old school

I bet their fenced in also[:-]
They aren't fenced in germ............that fence is to keep others out........100% free ranging for sure
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Yeah, a 4' fence is real tall.

How do you know how high it is?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a 100% prime-time long and strong monster buck killin' beyooootch
jelen - Ever get confused deciding whether to pat your own back or thump your chest?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan,
What you are describing in PA is exactly what it is like here in the Catskills in NY.I have known hunters that were gripped with panic because they may not kill "a" buck in a particular year,yet they hadn't filled doe tags.Like yourself I will never understand that mentality.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Yeah, a 4' fence is real tall.

How do you know how high it is?

Maybe you should be asking yourself that before saying something as stupid as this....

Yea...........nothing like a picture of multiple bucks on the ground and long high fence in the background to get you fired up!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Maybe you should be asking yourself that before saying something as stupid as this....

Why??.........I made a general statement based on what I see in the photo. You are the one who got specific and now won't say why........that's not stupid at all
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Why??.........I made a general statement based on what I see in the photo. You are the one who got specific and now won't say why........that's not stupid at all
Actually you specifically said "high fence." Nothing general about that statement at all.

Didn't say I wouldn't answer your question. It's pretty obvious its a barbwire fence, you can see the strands and the white tips of the posts.

So, let me ask you.....How did you come to the conclusion its a high fence? Oh that's right, you're just looking for another pissing match.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh that's right, you're just looking for another pissing match.
Actually I thought he was responding to this comment:

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

No kidding Buckeye. Finally something that will get your blood boiling besedes a pip squeek from NY.

Maybe you missed that, but, it would be debatable who was looking for the pissing match .
Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Without antlers deer would not be worth hunting.

They would merely be a nuisance animal that should be wiped out.
Holy smokes!! Mr. Atlas, by the looks of the page count this thinghas turned into a monster.I imagine itwasn't the simple yes or no answers that complicated it but more the reasons why or why not that followed. No way I'm going to wade into all that toseeso I'll just vote "NO". The varieties of sausage, stew meat, summer sausage, H-burger, steaks, roasts, etc. in the freezer tastes just as good whether it came with bone attached or not (some say "not" is better). As for the challenge part of it, if that's all that you're in it for then go for the old matriarchs running around. There are folks right here in this forum that have said "they are just as smart and cagey as the old bucks" .

Had to edit this real quick, when I say "all you're in it for",I don't mean you specifically. Whew, glad I caught that .

Quick Reply: Is this how YOU feel about hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.