Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me scout

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help me scout

Well here is a birds eye view of one of the places that I am going to be hunting. There are usually a few nice fellas in here each year. You would be surprised how many deer actually live in this small of an area.

Green dots are potential stand sites. Purple dots are areas that the deer enter and exit the woods. Blue line is obviously a river. Blue squares are areas that deer cross the river. Tan line is deer trails. White line is 4 wheeler trails. Yellow dot blotch is the bedding area. Red dash is a rub line that was on just about every other tree last year. There was also a lot of rubs, and scrapes behind the house. It seems like the sign is the same every year, and the trails are also the same. the little farmstead on the far right side of the map is an abaondoned farm that consists of a barn that has fallen down. I know deer leave there heading east from the bedding area from watching them last year, just never got a shot. Deer also filter in from the west side of the map up to the northern edge of the field.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me scout

Forgot to say I was just lookin for some input on if the stands look like they should be in good spots or if I should try other spots or what you guys would do. Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put red dots where I would put stands for starters, just from looking at your map. I also circled an area in red that look interesting. Could be a deep ravine that could funnel deer around it. Might be worth investigating.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real men hunt from their trucks...or someone elses.[&:]

jmbuckhunter has pointed out some good spots.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

i will check it out this weekend. the red dot that is farthest east that you put, may be a good spot. I just don't know of the ledge has started by then or not....the part that narrows out along the river and between the field is a steep drop off. I hope that I can get out there and do some real scouting instead of just dreamin That stand that you put by mine, just a little deeper in the woods probably wouldn't be the best though cause it is so damn thick. And the tree that I have picked out from last year along the edge of the field works well for rifle season too. Definately gonna have to check it out though. Thanks for the help and I will check out the spots to see if there is potential for a stand in those areas...everything is pretty thick in here though. Except behind the house there is a kind of valley where it is a big dip where it kind of thins out, that is why I put a dot for a stand there.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

i wish i had a map like that...the points buckhunter said look good but i would also try where the deer trails split and cross the river...right where they slit looks like a good spot...good luck