Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think you're special? >

Do you think you're special?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think you're special?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Do you think you're special?

The jokes from that title are endless so I will just get right to it.

Pretty simple really...........do you believe that you have/do something "special" or better then other hunters do that allows you to have success where others would fail.

Basically, if someone else was afforded your EXACT same opportunities do you think they would have similar success?.......less???..........more??

I guess my answer is two-fold.

I feel like most guys with a decent skill and knowledge base would be just as successful as I am on my private farms with less pressure.........perhaps even more if lady luck shines on them. I would say that I am a little above average at the big woods public land game then others and I base this soley on my ability to consistently tag deer in this arena well above my state and local average success rates.............we are all playing on the same field so I think that is a fair comparison.

So how do you think you stack up against the masses??..........put in your shoes could another guy step right in and accomplish what you do??..........or do you believe you have/do something "special" that allows you to succeed where others would fail??

Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you think you're special?

He's Back

and

NO

For example the differnce between you and average hunter in your area is time. I would bet on average you put more time in then the average guy. Same here, I just put more time in and focus on a few more details.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if someone else hunted my land it would be a cycle. At first I think I would be more successful since I already know a few of the normal routes traveled as well as some feeding and bedding areas. However, given time I think the new hunter would be more successful than me. The reason being is that I have hunted the land so long that I'm set in my ways. I typically stick to the same stand locations and hunt the same manner that I have become used to. The new hunter would have a fresh insight and probably find locations and deer that I may never think about. Other than that I don't believe I have any special general hunting skills that are greater than most other avid archers on the forum.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Question. My quick answer which may revise over time is:

I think the majority of regular posters on this board are probably pretty equal. Obviously, we have the drive anddesire 365 days a year. I think most of us could go hunt in Texas or Canada or Pa and in a short amount of time be comfortable with our stand placement and have success.

I'm in no way saying we are the average Bowhunter..I would like to think on a scale, that we are much higher on the curve. We all know most other bow hunters who may fling a couple arrows prior to the opener and then go hunt for a week or so with their buddies.

But like your answer there are so many other factors that are involved. Are you married? do you have kids? Do you hunt public land, private? What's your job? How often can you get out? mornings? evenings?

There is never equality. Most of us have to have balance between our daily lives and our hunting pursuits. We cannot just move to a big buck state. We can not hunt 60 days a year. Does this make our skills less?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

My answer is "no". Not right away. I have put in an extreme amount of time for over 15 years, hunting mature bucks. During these years I have learned a lot of little intricate details of the mature buck that can only be gained with time. If a guy starts putting in the kind of time that I do, it would still take him/her 3-5 years to get up to the knowledge base that I have earned. I learned most of my lessons the hard way. There were no computors to help with knowlege sharing, nor were there any hunting shows on TV like we have today. That is why a person today can learn faster than years back.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had a lot of success, so I couldn't say that any average hunter couldn't come in
and duplicate my success or lack thereof.

I need a lot of work on scouting and strategy. But, one thing I had last year and will have this
year that I feel gives me a small edge is desire. Most of the hunters I know only hunt about 6
hours out of the day and take food to the stand and all that. I feel like I'm pretty good at being
patient, quiet, and fairly movement free on the stand. I hunt hard and stay late on my stands.
I also feel that I am more profficient with my weapons than the average hunter (most of whom
get out their bow or muzzleloader right before season).

That doesn't make me special, it just means I might be more dedicated than the average hunter
at this point in my limited hunting career.

My enemy right now is time. With demanding job, baby and another on the way, and my best
hunting spot almost 3 hours away, it is frustrating.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

NO

For example the differnce between you and average hunter in your area is time. I would bet on average you put more time in then the average guy. Same here, I just put more time in and focus on a few more details.
Exactly. A big part of hunting is simply exposure. Both being out there enough and exposing yourself to areas/specific places that allow you to be successful.

Man, that sounds so simple
Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

He's Back

That's fair.....................and something I guess I didn't give enough thought to. My success on public land vs the rest of the state could very well be patience and time on stand. I guess I was assuming all things being equal but I shouldn't have applied that to my public land statement because I'm sure they are not........we are all on the same playing field but I may get to play way more then others. Given that someone was allowed the EXACT same opportunities as myself I think they could step in and do just as well if not better with a little good or bad fortune probably being the swing factor.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Define success.....

Ummm....no, I don't think I have anything special......I think most folks could go out and whack a doe or two every year....It is all about location after all..........
Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there's a lot of "special" people around here

Cleaning tables at Yanker Burger

Residence:
Yankerville Suburbs with his Grandma

Fried Chicken, Hawaii, Snowglobes and Scooters.

Dislikes:
Ghosts and Spiders.

Favorite Quote:
"YAY, YAY, YAYYY!!"[/align]

Quick Reply: Do you think you're special?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.