Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think you're special? >

Do you think you're special?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think you're special?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think you're special?

In my woods, yes I am. I have been hunting that woods for 15 years and know a lot of the patterns the deer use. That would give me an edge over anyone just walking in there for the first time.

Plus I practice shooting year round. I know a lot of guys who pick up their bow a week before the season and THINK they are ready to kill a monster. I promise you I am special compared to that guy.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

In my woods, yes I am. I have been hunting that woods for 15 years and know a lot of the patterns the deer use. That would give me an edge over anyone just walking in there for the first time.

Plus I practice shooting year round. I know a lot of guys who pick up their bow a week before the season and THINK they are ready to kill a monster. I promise you I am special compared to that guy.
I think you're speacial too[8D]
Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

It really depends on who would be stepping onto the land I hunt as to whether they would have the success I have or not. I think that if I randomly picked from the regulars on this forum they could come into my situation and do as well or better than I do.

On the other hand I know guys that do hunt a lot that I would not be threatened by if I had to share a spot with them.

For example, a very good friend of mine had invited me to hunt some property that he has several years back. I had very good success, and he has had very good success on this property. However, the land was obtained by his father, they have hunted it for decades, and for the most part nothing has changed. They don't scout, because they don't need to. I have hunted 4 states with very different climates and had to adapt. At the time that I started hunting with him I would have said that my skills and knowledge were superior to his. Since that time, he has obtained new properties, learned them, and put in time and effort to learn the game. That margin has become much smaller if not disappeared.

So, it's kind of subjective as to who comes into the equation.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Define success.....

No popcorn needed............very simple...........could someone else step into your EXACT situation and have similar success (whatever you do year after year).........or do you believe you are in some way more able to draw success where others would fail if given the same chance.
Well not quite that simple, it all depends on who the someone else is!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 PM

No, I'm not special.

I may be a dedicated hunter, but I do not have the years under my belt nor the experience yet to even be considered close to special. I've had moderate success, but have yet to harvest a mature whitetail buck.

I'm average. The average hunter could step into my shoes and be just as successful as I am at this point in time. This is no one's fault but my own. Working full time while going to school gives one very little time to hunt.

Perhaps one day I'll have enough time to spend in the woods and I'll consider myself special, but until then I'll be content with being average.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it's about 75% location and 25% execution...

I have buddies that I can put on an excellent stand location, but they have problems with the execution...

I usually have no problems with the execution when the shot presents itself...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty much totally awesome in every phase of the game... So yeah. I'd say I'm special.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on what you consider average. Stick a weekend warrior who scouts a few times a year in my spots and he will be hard pressed to enjoy the same success as me. Put a seasoned guy who knows what to look for and he could probably step in without skipping a beat and be very comparable. Put in a real slick guy and he couldteach me athing or 2 on land I've hunted 20+ years.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

On days he comes with me I let him pick any stand that is right for the wind that day. 9 times out of ten I think he makes the wrong choice for various reasons.
Do you help him out by telling him his mistake or just keep letting him making it over and over. I ask because my oldest brother is not a good "spot picker" for lack of a better phrase........and I flip flop on whether I should keep telling him because a few times I tried he also got skunked so then I wondered if something else was the problem..........and it just snowballed from there. I finally just started keeping my thoughts to myself.

Greg H could come here and get on a big buck. The guy that has never killed a mature buck would probably never even see one.
I don't doubt the first phrase...........but the logic for the second phrase doesn't compute........if it did no one would ever kill a mature buck........and we know that's not true because they fall to first timers every year.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM

People seem to be getting hung up on the word "average". Don't make it more complex then it needs to be. Forget the extremes. We aren't talking about a weekend warrior who shoots his bow for an hour before the season and goes to camp just to take a beer fueled vacation every fall...........and we aren't talking about Chuck Adams or Fred Bear either.

Just a regular solid hunter..........good shot, good knowledge base, and good hunting skills. Nothing great.........and nothing terrible either. No extremes either way.

Quick Reply: Do you think you're special?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.